Soreness like a graze?

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi. This might sound weird but I'm 5 weeks post op and my TKR feels like a graze (when you fall over as a child) but on the inside, if that makes any sense?  I am not doing too bad although since being given new exercises (which are very painful!) this strange feeling has surfaced.  I did have my first proper outing yesterday (as haven't been out apart from hospital) so may be that's the reason. I know its early days but I feel I'm going one step forward two steps back at the moment!  There's also the dilemma every day of what meds to take.  Ibuprofen gives me upset stomach, so am taking co codamol which has the constipation effect.  I have tried taking ranitidine before the buprofen but is like a lottery whether it works or.not.  Will I ever feel normal?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am 5 weeks post op to nd also get this strange feeling, like you it only started when the physio gave me a couple of harder exercises, which are also painful, must be part of the bigger plan.  You sound just like me with the medicines, daytime I try to get by with just the ice on the knee but occassionally have to take something.  Nights are my worst time, an hour here and an hour there, I don't think I will ever sleep normally again.  Hopefully it will all get better soon!!!  But am glad to hear from someone experiencing the same things as I am.
    • Posted

Hey Maggie. Perhaps it's part off the process eh?! Yes it's good for me to know that someone else has the same thing.  I keep thinking that they wouldn't do this operation if it did not have good results, so we will just have to hang in there and do as we are told.  I can usually get about 3 hours sleep at once in the night then an hour awake to take pain relief or rub ibuprofen in, then another 2/3 hours.  Goodness knows how I will ever get back to work!  Chin up eh x
  • Posted

Hi Elaine -  all the things you mention i remember  too well - like a distant nightmare!!!(i'm at 12 weeks now) Get your GP to prescribe  a box of laxido sachets for constipation they don't cause griping and counteract the cocodamol pretty well. The unpleasant feeling i had in those early weeks was like a burn both on the skin and inside the knee - horrible! But gradually all the unpleasant sensations have lessened over the weeks. Don't lose heart, so many of us have/are going through such similar things and it all does get better eventually, at whatever pace your body can go! 
    • Posted

Thanks tess I will ask my go for that.  Hopefully things will settle down soon, it is very frustrating though as i want to get on with my hobby (sewing) but can't sit at the machine for more than 5 mins! My knee is sore and stiff and I can't stand at the cutting table for long.  Moan moan moan eh! X
  • Posted

Yea but don't we all need to moan helps to lift the burden a bit!!! Helps you move on bit by bit soooo moan on!!!! Xx
  • Posted

Ask your doctor about omeprazole, it helps protect the stomach when taking anti inflamatories.
  • Posted

Ooh I know that feeling too well and very strange too as it's been a very long time since I had a grazed knee haha. I'm 5+5 and doing great so I thought but I know i have overdone it and now got pain in back of knee...has anybody got this too? Also feels like if I try to bend knee it's stuck
    • Posted

i have same thing been to hospital as no doctor appointment. told it was pulled muscle in back of knee. i also feel as if when i bend my knee as if an elastic band is being stretched and pings. if you find anything that helps let me know please.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.