Sorry - getting worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

OK....

I am a born worrier.  Don't know why but I have always been a glass half empty type of person.  So after numerous investigations this year my GP finally diagnosed me with IBS.  I had for years and years suffered with varying bowel habits, including urgency.....much urgency!!  But never had pain until last year.

In March got some Buscopan for lower left sided pain and it did the trick after a day or 2.  Been OK since until last week when I started I think Friday with urgency then the next day vague abdo pain across the belly, although the bowels settled.

Since then:

Extremely tired - have actually gone to bed for an hour each afternoon I am so shattered

(never ever do this)

Very little energy so have done very little other than walk the dog and mooch around.

Pain (was sharp stab but felt quite shallow) in belly button which I posted about the other day - has now disappeared thankfully.

Pain *gripy dull constant ache) in left side, now not being helped by Buscopan

Pain across the very very bottom of my belly - feels like when you are a bit constipated and get that dull ache - but also down into my nether regions - like you get with a UTI but I haven't got one - drinking lots and piddling clear

Piddling more than usual - having to get up during the night.  

Very poor appetite.  Just want to nibble on comfort things but think also that is partially because I don't feel up to standing and preparing a meal

Under bra strap bloating.  Feels so uncomfortable until I take my bra off.

I am just a bit worried because normally I suffer with bowels rather than pain.....and these symptoms are a bit out of the blue.  I haven't even bothered putting make up on or going anywhere.

I have made an appointment with GP for next Saturday 28th, but I know I will worry until then - does this all sound like IBS that I have been lucky to avoid until now?  And should I ask him for anything specific?  I have looked at Fodmap - and to be fair I tend to eat mainly low anyway.

Thank you in advance x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry....just to add that the pain L side and across lower belly reminds me of period pains from years ago if that helps to describe it.
  • Posted

As you said you have had test what exactly have you had done up to now, I have never had a great deal of pain in recent years until four weeks ago and think I may have had a bit of food poisoning, it's lingered and on and off all day, something like hunger pains but not starving and eating doesn't stop it so I am putting it down to my IBS I'm sure it's not my colitis as that's different again.

Please don't worry as all you have said sounds just like IBS and you feel worse because you are anxious about it.

Eat little and often and chicken soup is really good I'm having that tonight

• Posted

Hi tealover, I have been diagnosed with IBS and like you I am a worrier but from the outside people wouldn't think this. I bottle it up inside and get really tense. It's only lately that I noticed I clench my teeth when my mouth is shut which shows I'm not relaxed. The pains I get are more of a burning sensation in the middle of the belly as though its almost eating away at my insides. It's exhausting. I don't get dull aches. It got so bad that my GP put me on a course of Sertraline as I got so depressed with it. These are meant to help with anxiety. I do feel for you as it's very debilitating.

• Posted

thank you for your reply.  I think I have experienced the whole range of pain over the last 5 days or so, I hope you are getting some relief with both your IBS symptoms and also your anxiety. x
  • Posted

All your symptoms sound like IBS.  Do not worry because it will worsen your symptoms.  IBS symptoms can and do change.  Sometimes I get pain only with IBS, sometimes only bowel habit change and at other times both.  Your types of pain too are the types of pain I can get. You can also get referred, radiating pain and frequent urination.
    • Posted

Thank you Pippa for your reply.

This discomfort right down in the pubis - last night so sharp literally down to my urethra that it doubled me over and I was stuck in the same position until I could move!  I think it is definitey associated with the need to wee, but as I said I have crystal clear urine and no other signs of a UTI such as urgency, only passing a teaspoonful, burning or stinging etc.

I am worried because I feel I am getting constipated now despite eating a good diet and I only ever get properly constipated due to painkillers.  I have been taking Nurofen plus for the gripey period type pains and Buscpan.  I am going to quit the Nurofen now and see if it will help my bowels.

thanks again x

• Posted

Sometimes constipation can be random with IBS despite a good diet.  However, if you have been taking nurofen, this can constipate you too. Constipation can also contribute to the pain. I got badly constipated with nurofen when using it a lot. Buscopan alone may be enough tp help the pain. 
  • Posted

Hi Dear,

Sounds like you are having a bacterial infection on top of your IBS routine. Nothing to worry though. Lets see what doctor says. However, please try to skip antibiotic treqtment if doctor asks..antibiotics would make IBS syproms and micfoflora worse...Wishing you best of luck and healthy life!

Kind Regards

• Posted

Thank you for your reply 

I don't see him til 28th so am hoping that I may have got through this and can cancel the appointment by then!  smile  Do you mean a UTI type of infection?  It certainly feels like that with the very low sharp pains, but my urine is clear, not smelly and plentiful.

Thank you again x

• Posted

Well I cannot say more since not a doctor smile but apparently people like us (worriers) triggering ibs symptoms. I trust nothing more than IBS with you but better find a doctor whom you can trust and always see same doctor. Since ibs is long term issue, better to have same doctor who will know your full history and you dont need to tell same story each time.

I feel people like us sad we need to have hobbies in or life other than our bowel and ibs...I am saying that but trust me I am just like you smile

Be positive always and enjoy please!!

• Posted

Have had to cancel catch up with some friends as I have this morning started with D and can't keep off the loo. 😣 but also this past 24 /48hrs my lower belly is sooo very painful....i can only describe it like the stiff ache after doing sit up after sit up for hours on end (and I don't do any lol!!) Has anybody else had this and what causes it? Will it pass soon? Thank you in advance x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.