Sorry I'm posting again..

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im sorry to post again, i was just hoping to see if someone has gone through the same side effects that i have, or if im just off the deep end because my dr is not helpful.

i have been taking 20mg for 8 weeks now and at the 5 week mark my dr upped my dose to 30mg, which is just passed the 3 week mark. This is my 2nd time around on Citaroplam. The first time i was on for more than 7 years and it worked great. i slowly came off them this year and quickly realized i couldnt function so im back on.

I have always slept very well, especially on Citalopram, but this time around i get such terrible sleep, like feeling like im awake all night but im not tired the next day, some nights will be ok, but its just so erratic. i never had that problem the first time around. Bedtime now brings up more anxiety, i was hoping this was just a side effect and it would have gone away by now.

the other thing is my damn upper legs, they feel jittery, burning sometimes, just like i worked them out very hard sometimes.

i hope there is someone out there that has had these symptoms. if so do they go away, especially the sleep. my family keeps telling me that sleep gets that way when you get older ...i don't know

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hiya,

I have been on Citalopram 20mg for nearly 1 month now (10mg for 8 days prior). I was the same for 2 or 3 weeks, terrible insomnia even though I was taking the tablet in the morning. Now I sleep like a log. I also got the jittery legs which has gone. Hopefully it will pass and may just be a temporary side effect of the increase of dosage.

• Posted

I'm sorry you are still experiencing the insomnia. This was my second time on citalopram and this time around the side effects were much harder on me as well. I too experienced insomnia, heightened anxiety, burning sensation all over my body, dry mouth, and extreme loss of appetite. Unfortunately I made the very hard decision to discontinue taking citalopram because i had lost 10 pounds in six days and would go days with no sleep or eating. The insomnia was the most draining part of it all. It felt like a never ending cycle of no sleep followed by anxiety about not sleeping which led to no sleep. I went a week with insomnia and that was all my mind and body could handle. I sympathize for anyone who has to deal with these side effects especially because citalopram worked so well for me the first time. You are definitely farther into your journey than i was, are you taking any sleep aids? My doctor had prescribed me Trazadone to help me sleep, i took it one time and i did get sleep but i was waking up a lot, having very vivid dreams, and when i would close my eyes i would see flashes of light as if someone were changing channels on the tv. I researched it the next day and found out that trazadone is actually another antidepressant/sleep aide and i didn't want to take another antidepressant with all of the side effects i had already been dealing with. I'm not sure what you are experiencing with your insomnia but for me it was like my body was tired and i would close my eyes for hours and hours but my mind wouldn't fall asleep. That would happen during the day as well when i would be so exhausted from no sleep the night before and i would think well let me try to nap but nope i would lay with my eyes closed and could hear everything going on around me. I think the citalopram was stopping me from reaching the REM sleep. I hope that your sleep patterns get back to normal as i know how draining that can be mentally. I have been off the meds for about 5 days now and i finally got a full nights sleep in about 2 weeks. I was getting scared that i was going to have to deal with insomnia even after stopping citalopram but that 1 night of sleep has eased my mind a bit. I am going to have to fight my battle with anxiety a different way i guess. Hang in there if you feel that it is worth it,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.