Sotalol & stomach issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 1st Nov of last year I was switched from Bisoloprolol to Sotalol due to bad side effects from the Bisololprolol. I was put onto 40mg twice per day of the sotolol and found this to be much better for me.

?Approx. 1mth later, due to my blood pressure being high, my gp increased my medication to 80mg twice per day. The very first day of taking the higher dose my stomach became uncomfortably bloated and painful, four days later I was in an out of hours gp surgery due to the pain of the bloating. They advised that this can be a side effect of the medication & that because the 40mg was ok to advise I go back to this. 

?A few days later I saw my gp who said to continue with the 40mg twice per day & prescribed a separate blood pressure medication.

?Not long after this severe bloating I had terrible constipation for couple of weeks, something ive never had before. I was given medication to help this along and now although I'm not constipated anymore ive had a horrible pain in the left side of my stomach that has continuously became worse ever since. My gp has said to take paracetomol for the pain but ive stopped taking these as they simply don't work. The only time the pain eases is when I lie down. Blood testshat I had for this all came back ok.

?Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm just trying to see if theres any connection with the bloating from the increased medication, thankyou.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dean,  try going to your Pharmacist and asking if they could check whether any of the medicines interact with each other,  have found that the Doctor doesn't always check this.   Also because you obviously have a computer why don't you Google the medicines  and check for side effects too.   Also I have found that it pays to check all medicines that you are prescribed,  the worst I had was Amiodorone I had a really severe reaction which I wouldn't wish on anyone.  Hope this helps.  Moira.

• Posted

Until recently I was on 320mg/d Sotalol, with no effects on my stomach. But that's just my experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.