SOVERE ACID REFLUX REBOUND FROM MISSED DOSES OF PPI

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello can anyone advise on how long acid rebound symptoms last please as I missed lots of doses of esomprazole and ranitidine tablets in february -march -April AND IN from may I'm suffering so bad with reflux and burning in stomach on inside and out also constantly burning in breast bone .already started take tablet s on time now also taking manuka honey plus oats help with symptoms but only for hour or so also taking gaviscon double action .Please can someone advise if had same symptoms when stopped ppi,s and how long before this pain goes away I'm suicidal ...Please advise

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Please please don't consider taking your life as things will get better, I promise. I've felt exactly the same way as you physically and mentally. You can get through this!!! I did.

Are you taking ppis now? Acid rebound can last up to two weeks or maybe a month in severe cases. Whilst experiencing acid rebound you must be ultra careful with what you eat. No trigger foods what so ever. No eating anything after 6.30pm. Try not to bend forward either. Bend your knees and keep chest upright.

Ppis did not work for me so I stopped them and went on Zantac (2 x day 150mg). Then after awhile, say a month I cut out the morning pill and watched what I ate. After another month I cut out evening pill and I relied on gaviscon ES. Then I gradually weaned off gaviscon and took dgl licorice instead.

Gaviscon is my go to if I'm bad, but most of the time dgl licorice does the trick.

Have you raised your bed? This helped me HEAPS!

Try to meditate and de stress as much as possible. Distraction is the key to. Try not to focus on it. It really does make it worse.

Keep telling yourself you will be better and believe it. yOU will be!

God bless and let us know how you are. Feel free to private message me any time. If you feel suicidal please talk to someone. I'm here if you need me.

Love Dominique

• Posted

Hi. How does one determine that its a rebound? It could be that the condition isnt treated sufficiently and needs longer on meds.

• Posted

Very good point, there is no one amount of time that suits us all. I lowered my dose after a year or so but do not intend to stop at this stage.
    • Posted

Hello thank you for your advice and iv done all that with raising bed and not eating late but just won't stop due for endoscopy soon waiting letter just so depressed because when Go gym gets worse was using gym for stress relief but can't now it agravates it also can't eat meat much makes worse but do really appreciate advice?

• Posted

Hello Dom I'm taking 40 mg esomprazole morning then 3 daily doses of domperidone 10 mg also takeing 300 mg rantidine evening on top of that takeing gaviscon double action tabs day time and iv put head side bed up and eating bland food no chocolates or not smoking or alcohol fizzy drinks nothing it started in may because was eating oily food late and missing tablets also was vapeing but. Now stopped because net says can make worse so all my favourite things iv stopped Which is why so frustrating when still not settled

• Posted

As Dominique says "Things will improve" soon. All Gerd sufferers feel as you do at some point but we just have to get through it. Managing stress is very important as is taking meds on time and eating carefully. After suffering for the past 2 years I have now decided that a boring/bland diet is much better than eating what I would prefer but feeling bad after. I only take Esomprazole 20mg once a day now unless things are really bad. Problem with Gerd is that it also affects other parts of your body, I suffer from stomache problems, lump in throat, bad back, painful bladder, ear infections, aching legs and the list goes on. At the end of the day we have to do our best to live with this otherwise we would all go mad.

Robin

• Posted

Thank you for your advice rob really appreciate it just so frustrating but I'm glad I got all of you.on my side and in my Life it helps thank you

• Posted

I have just stopped the PPI's that I was given- it has been 3 days and I have been vomiting every day (acid mainly). I know exactly how you feel but it is a feeling that will pass. It can feel unbearable but you will get through it! Make sure you are eating light bland food- no chilli, chocolate, etc. Raise your bed for sure and do some breathing exercises before going to sleep. You WILL get through this! 

• Posted

Thank you for your advice nosh I really appreciate it it helps with your support thank you iv done the bed also eating small amounts bland diet it happens on empty stomach and after food just so depressed frustrating but thank you
  • Posted

Why have you stopped taking the PPI? I have been taking them for about 10 years now and they have changed my life. A PPI only lasts about 24hrs which is why  you have to take it daily. 

If you worry about the side effects, consider this. Cars kill and injure people every day, PPI's don't kill people. So my advice start taking them again. If you need them, take them and you will be symptom free. 

• Posted

Thank you for replying yes I'm back on them I thought I was well so stopped BIG MISTAKE never again I would rather take ppi for the rest of my life rather than suffer the way I am I'm sitting up I can't lie down so much pain and fire in my chest between breast bone

• Posted

I'm so depressed I can't eat what I like to I can't vape makes it worse I can't drain sorrows with glass of wine or beer I can't eat a curry and I used to love my spices. I'm only here now thanks to most of all dominque and rob and nosh other wise I was standing on the bridge to jump into river thames

• Posted

I want to thank you all for just being you and listening when I need you I don't know what I would do without you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.