Soy milk and thyroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, im 39 years old. i was diagnosed with hyperthyoridism 8 years ago and put on antithyroid drugs for three years and finally i was given options to go for a surgery or radio active iodine treatment. i choose the later one and became hypothyroidism after the treatment. i am taking 100mcg of thyroxine since then. Recently, my blood results showed low TSH and T4 and my GP prescribed me  with increased dose of thyroxine. I was bit surprised because this had never happened before so i analysed my entire eating habits which i have alter in the last year and found out that i was consuming too much soy milk. did you anyone have same results with the consumption of soymilk? i mean does the consumption of soymilk or products have given different blood test results?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tim

I to am hypothyroid, diagnosed 6 year ago, suspect was going on for many years previously.  I to have been looking at diet & noted connection between Soy products & hypothyroidism, have removed from my diet, though I understand Soy sauce is ok because it is fermented.  Other tips I have noted are to avoid lightly cooked cruciferous veg ie broccoli, cabbage pak choi.  My consumption of alcohol is decreased, as gfound out people with hypothyroidism can be less tolerant of alcohol. Hypothyroid sufferers can also be low in Selenium, - 3 Brazil nuts provides 100% of our daily needs. I changed from taking Thyroxine am to pm, making sure I do not eat or drink anything within half an hour of taking medication.  My next plan is to try organic coconut oil, apparently this can be beneficial in balancing the metabolism, thus helping with weight loss.  I do suffer alot of neck pain, not sure if this is related to Thyroid, but have found Pilates to be very effective.

Useful website is Thyroid Uk, who give good advice.

• Posted

Hi tim31456. I agree with julie75120, and have found that soy is toxic to the thyroid along with the the veggies she listed and many more. It seems that many of the "good and healthy" veggies are bad for those of us with thyroid disease. Peanuts are another one. I cut that out of my diet, which was painful...I love peanut butter. It has helped. You can never do enough research :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.