Soy products and BPH

Posted , 8 users are following.

In another discussion here the issue of soymilk came up in relation to BPH. I have read that soy contains estrogen compounds, and the balance between estrogen and testosterone might be a cause of BPH. This is because as we grow older our testosterone decreases at the same time that the prostate grows - a possible cause and effect.

Anyway, for a number of years I have been making two high protein blender drinks per day using soymilk as my base. I use the unsweetened Silk soymilk - 7 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar, low sodium. I do this to keep my intake of sugars down - I have a tendency to have higher than normal blood sugar levels.

I can find no "hard evidence" of soymilk or soy products being the cause of, or contributing to BPH, but this is a learning process.

Silk does make a new product that is 10% protein, and a few grams of sugar per serving, made from cashews and almonds, rather than soy. I tried it - very good, but higher in sodium than the soymilk. All dairy milk products have higher sugar levels than these soy or nut based milks.

Any thoughts about this? Would stopping the soymilk help my BPH symptoms, or is this another myth?

Tom

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Tom:

I'm not sure if it is a myth, but as I replied to you in the other post, for protein you could replace the soy with pea or pumpkin protein (there are other non-whey proteins as well). I like pumpkin, myself.

• Posted

Hi Tom, (86211)

I have two books one by Ben Ong ( a BPH guy who started a supplement deal) and Ronald M. Bazar, both you can look them up. Pro's and Con's with each, but they both agree that Soy and dairy are out! Both

do exactly what you suspect, add estrogen when we are declining in testosterone. Which many homeopath type Doctors suggest might be a cause of prostate growth as we age. I have eliminated all dairy, as much soy as I can find, as I have found it is hiding in many products these days. One of the issues why they are so against these two villain items is today's processed food production. One said if you can get soy from an Asian source you might do better, but the US has apparently genetically modified the soy so as to make it not natural and might have a neg affect on the prostate and other body organs. Note this is just what I read, I did not do any independent research yet. And as for milk same issue, production and genetically modified issues. Plus dairy farmers in many cow farms ad antibiotics and other additives to falsely increase milk production. Although....many milk producers are changing their ways. And we get to suffer. So I have cut out as much dairy as I can find, they hide "whey" in things to increase protein levels, and no soy and cut out as much sugar as I can find too. By doing this I lost 10 lbs in 4 months as a bonus. I need to loose another 10 lbs and I will be at my high school weight.

• Posted

John,

I have studied nutrition my entire life and can find no solid evidence that either soy or dairy are bad for you. The natural food industries are 100% against dairy, but the reasons are not clear to me why. There is some association with a "Western diet", leading to shorter lifespans, but my wife grew up on a dairy farm in northern Wisconsin and her family is very healthy and long lived - we just celebrated her mother's 93th birthday. She (my wife) thnks the fear of dairy is ridiculous. I wouldn't go that far, but I have replaced milk with soymilk, and I won't give up cheese, especially sharp cheddar and parmesan.

Tom

• Posted

Tom:

Do some research on natural supplements for estrogen inhibition or some variation thereof. You will find that the hair loss and bodybuilding forums provide some information. As a result of my research I have increased my intake of quercetin, grapeseed extract, and most importantly, chrysin (by drinking passionflower tea). There is another supplement called DIM, but for some reason I didn't think it was as safe as the others (I could be wrong on this). I've had my estradiol checked twice in the last 6 months and it has been very low. My testosterone is high for a man in his early sixties.

• Posted

rdemyan,

I already take passionflower in liquid form - has a calming effect. Helps me sleep, although I am up every hour trying to pee.

Just had lunch with a small group of family. My brother in law's girlfriend was saying her father just passed away in the Philippines. She said he was 102, drank and smoked, didn't like vegetables so ate meat and bacon, and didn't exercise!

Tom

• Posted

It must be a myth, because there would be a BPH epidemic in all Asian countries.. I happen to live in Japan and we eat soy products on daily bases. Yes I have BPH issue, but I had it before I moved here.

• Posted

Nick,

Yes, I have read this before. Makes sense.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.