Spaced out, high, Drunk Feeling. Please help me. (5 MONTHS)

Posted , 160 users are following.

Hi everyone.

My name is Erik. I am a 20 year old male, thin build. 6' 2'' at 170 lbs. I have had really debilitating issues for the last 5 months. The issue is that I feel drunk, spacey, loopy, high and dizzy all the time. It basically feels the same as if you were tipsy or the high feeling you can get. I also have visual disturbances. My vision has become blurry and I have somewhat tunnel vision. I just feel all around out of it. I find myself daydream, when I say this I mean my eyes don't focus on anything (go blurry) and just look at nothing. I think it might be slight double vision. Sounds are also very werid and it takes alot of energy to focus on visual and audio stimulants. Additionally, I am tired all the time. Extremely tired. Some days I will sleep very well for 10-11 hours and still be tired when I wake up and exercise will not wake me up. It is like the type of good solid sleep you have when your body is sick.. My memory has gotten really bad as well as my ability to process thoughts and engage in conversation. Imagine being drunk all the time...first I have been reading on boards like this for a long time now and have seen some people with these symptoms but no answers!! People seem to disappear. I hope hey have solved this problem but please let me know how!

Let me start by giving some background information. In August 2015 I was in an indoor rock climbing gym and fell from 15 feet straight onto my back. I could not move for a good 15 minutes because it hurt so bad. I wasn't able to do anything athletic after that day for at least a month. However, I did not have my current symptoms after this fall. 

Fast forward to December 15th 2015. I got really sick, was in bed for 4 days. Sore throat, eyes hurt like crazy, and super tired. It was during and after these 4 days that I developed a headache. This headache causes a pressure/dull/sharp pain behind my eyes, the upper bridge of my nose and right in between my eyes on my forehead. This headache lasted for about 4 months. 

At about 3 weeks into the headache I went and saw an ENT as I thought it was a sinus infection. i took multiple sets of antibiotics over the course of the next month to no avail. I got blood tests and liver test at around 2 months into the headache and nothing showed abnormal. I then was able to get into a nuerologist. They were unable to find anything after taking an MRI of my head with a barium contrast. 

Since the beginning of my headache I have been seeing a (PT) physical therapist mostly for my neck and back since after the fall my back is sore constantly. I had a neck injury about 5 years ago on a trampoline so I have a sore neck, tight muscles alot from that. 

At about 3 months into the headache (3/15/2015) I developed a new symptom, the drunk/high, dizziness, loopiness. I had the headache at the same time at this point. My PT suggested that I may have a blood vessel being pinched in my neck or a nerve being pinched in my mid back area where my rock climbing fall pain is mostly at.

I have been to 3 different chiropractors since this has occured about 5 times to each one. It has not helped so far. My PT gave me massages in my affected back and neck areas. 

Also a new thing I've noticed recently is that when I look up (bend my neck to look at the sky) I seem to get some sort of relief? Also ever since the loopy part started (this did not happen when I just had the headache) any amount of alcohol at all will make me SUPER DRUNK, literally like 2 sips. I used to be able to drink 3 full beers before getting buzzed.

I am thinking I want my doctor to give me a full head (brain/upper atlas) to lower back (tailbone) MRI so that my nerves and blood vessels going to my brain can be evaluated. Do you think this is a good idea? Has anyone had these symptoms before? I am now 5 months into this and it is debilitating. 

No doctor is taking me seriously because I am so young and the chances of having a serious problem are supposedly slim because of my age. PLEASE HELP!!! I feel like I'm caught in a dream and losing my awareness and my IQ. I am afraid something is damaging my brain and this is going to be permanent.

7 likes, 262 replies

262 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been going through the same thing about 4 years now! I’m a 25 year old female in otherwise good health and this is ruining my life. The doctor just writes it off as “melase”. If anybody has gotten any answers please share!!!! 
  • Posted

I've been experiencing the same issues for close to 5 months now. I have pressure in my face predominantly in my forehead, under my eyes, and ridge of my nose. I've suffered from severe chronic sinusitis before all of this due to some sort of allergen or chemical/asbestos/mold in my office. It got so bad I had to quit my job-- i wasn't the only one who developed chronic sinusitis either. I had a balloon sinuplasty done to correct this issues and it seemed all was right in the world. But then i got the flu, a bacterial sinus infection, my apartment was RIDDLED with dust from a construction site next door which i'm allergic to and was never able to get back on my feet.

About a month after my surgery i developed this drunk feeling where my head feels heavy, mind is a bit foggy, pressure in my face, and kind of takes me a bit longer to focus my eyes (similar to being tipsy). I've tried every combination of allergy medicine and nothing works-- in fact i only get some side effects from it. The ONLY thing that makes me feel NORMAL is prednisone but in the past that was always just a bandaid to whatever the root cause of the problem is. I've noticed a fluttering sound/feeling in my right ear at times when there is some noise in the area and a slight ring in my left ear at times. I believe that i was exposed to a pretty bad chemical, allergen, or mold/asbestos of some sort for so long that I developed chronic sinus sensitivity to any allergen. Additionally, i believe the constant irritation, sinus infections, surgery, medicines etc may have resulted in inflammation in my inner ear that creates this imbalance feeling and inflammation in my sinuses that creates this pressure feeling. All my blood tests came back normal, EKG normal, my sinuses are pretty clear and no visible infection, my audio and hearing tests came back normal, and my CT scans show no closures. All my symptoms contradict test results-- can anyone provide their insight on this???

• Posted

I have been experiencing these exact same issues for the past 3 months!! Are you still connected to this messaging or email, if so I would love to talk.
  • Posted

I came across this video and the symptoms and feelings you described are very similar to the ones explained in this video.

Best.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

hi i dont know how to pm but i would like the link to the video

• Posted

Hi Erik! I know is been two years since you posted this but if you are still out there please let me know!! I’ve been struggling with all these issues you described for two years now and my life has been hell. I’ve been to so many doctors and none of them can find anything physical. They’re all saying it’s a manifestation of anxiet but I feel that there has to be something more. I’ve had GAD my whole life yet this high disassociated feeling only started two years ago. Please let me know if you figured anything out and if you have any ideas for me. I don’t know what to do.
    • Posted

I have been dealing with this for close to a year now. Couple questions, does it feel like you have a lot of pressure in your head? Do your ears ring a lot? Is your neck stiff? Do you feel really off balance and physical activity makes all of the symptoms worse?
    • Posted

Also, does your nose always seem to be runny, but it’s clear.. kinda water like? And drips more when you bend over or feel more pressure in your head?
    • Posted

Yes but lately been good since I put fennel seeds in oatmeal
    • Posted

i have lots of pressure around my eyes and i get very dizzy after physical exercise

• Posted

I have the same problem been getting worse over 4 years worry in 2 years might not be able to walk it’s been awhile have u found the problem
    • Posted

I'm responding so quickly because I am recovering from sinus surgery as we speak. This surgery was deemed extremely necessary by my ENT surgeon and ENT physician and is said to be the cause of all my symptoms. I had a deviated septum fixed, had cysts and polyps in both of my maxillary sinuses removed, openings into both maxillaries and frontal sinuses enlarged, and turbinates reduced. there have been moments since my surgeon (last monday) that i felt great but I caught a cold and still recovering. My best advice is to see a normal ENT physician, get a CT scan, swab of your sinuses to determine that you dont have any bacterial infection (my mucus was sparse and clear and for me it was bacterial) and after this ENT's judgement, go to an ENT surgeon for a second opinion as they are the doctors that actually perform these surgeries and see how quality of life improves. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Oh my I had a cat scan and I had sinus blockage last year I been complaining for 3 years and no help seen ear doctor nothing wrong blood test all good 2 more years and proably won’t be to walk thanks jeff
    • Posted

I’ve been having issues like this for about 9 months now. It kinda just feels like everything is degrading quickly. I’m still able to function on the good days but I have some that take me out. My doctors think that it could be a cerebral spinal fluid leak (CSF leak) if your nose runs on a consistent basis and it’s a clear fluid, generally drips if you bend over, then you can collect the fluid and have it sent out. CSF leaks have these symptoms and are very rarely diagnosed because they are hard to find. If you haven’t been having luck with sinus fixes, I would suggest asking your dr about a csf leak. They don’t show up on scans because it’s a small area where it’s leaking from and it’s a fluid which can’t be seen unless they are looking for it.
    • Posted

A neighbor lady had that I ran a marathon June 16 running seems to help a little but it’s been 4 years a little worst ever year
    • Posted

so how are you getting on now? have you fully recovered? have all your symptoms gone away? please reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.