Spasm in cheek for a week and a half. Cause for concern?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’ve been terrified for about a week and a half now as I’ve been having an incessant spasm in my cheek just below my eye. I have anxiety and am absolutely terrified of visiting a doctor (I know I shouldn’t be, and it’s irrational, but I can’t help it). I’m a bit of a hypochondriac so I’ve sort of convinced myself that I have a brain tumor. The only other symptom I have is an occasional and relatively mild flare of pain behind my right eye (this is the side the spasm is on) Do you think this is cause for concern and I should visit a doctor? I should also mention I’ve been under extreme stress lately, (all the time really) so I’m not sure if it’s caused by stress or anything. I’m so scared to tell my mom because I don’t want to worry her so I’m trying to avoid having to make a doctor’s appointment if it is at all avoidable.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I should mention that it seems to stop or at least slow down when I am laying down/relaxing/sleeping. It is pretty incessant other than that though.

• Posted

No - this is not life threatening. It is A fasciculation, or muscle twitch, is a small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation which may be visible under the skin. ... Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign, It is due to an overactive nervous system - usually made worse until times of stress and anxiety. In a heightening state your body is in a stress or flight mode so the nervous system can be overactive causing twitching amongst other things. I should get it check just in case of course. My advice - find ways to reduce your anxiety - meditate daily - and you will likely find the twitching subside.

• Posted

Sorry my correction - I meant you should get it checked just in case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.