Spasms after Schincterectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I'm a 36 yr old male recovering from a hemorhoidectomy for Grade 3 & 4 internal/external and a LIS for a deep chronic fissure. I'm on day 5 and the pain has been much less than I expected thankfully, except for the spasms. I also have no swelling yet, but perhaps that comes later? I've had several decent BMs and have been drinking plenty of fluids, eating carefully, walking around and taking sitz baths throughout the day. 

I was given Experel to get me through the first few days which was wonderful. Also prescribed Norco (Hyrdocodone) and Valium, which I only took sparingly the first few days. Mainly taking Ibuprofin every 6 hours. The Valium is supposed to help with muscle relaxant but didn't seem to do much and I stopped using due to possible constipation. I've also been using a Nitroglycerin/Lidocaine gel which helps somewhat but I still spasm.

I started getting spasms on day 2 and they've continued since. The spasms happen long after my last BM which is concerning. Pre-op, I would have a BM at night and by the next day any spasms would be gone. And I was able to rectally insert the Nitro/Lido gel which was very effective but since the surgery I'm told I can only use it externally. It's very concerning that the spasms happen seemingly all the time and I have to be very careful moving. 

Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal post-op and should I be doing anything differently? I'm waiting for a call back from my doc but not having too much hope. Please help! 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.