spasms after surgery or procedure

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi.  I've been trying to decide what treatment to get for my Achalasia.  I'm considering Heller Myotemy, POEM, and a balloon dilation.  For me, the worse symptom I experience is spasms.  On average, I get them every few days and, at this point, I can get rid of them quickly by gulping water.  From what I've read and researched it seems that the treatments available do not alleviate spasms.  My concern is this:  What if I get a procedure and the spasms get worse or my method of getting rid of them no longer works.  Every now and then I read stories like this, though I suspect it's different for everyone.  But I would like to hear from people who have had painful esophageal spasms and then had either surgery or the dilation.  How did the procedure affect your spasms?  Did they get worse, better, or stay the same? Is it easier or harder to get rid of them once they start?  Please specify which surgery or procedure you got.  Thank you!

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Amy, I have been diagnosed with Achalasia and went through the series of  balloon 3 dialations this past year. After my first dialation I started to experience the spasms pretty bad. They were pretty intense but like you, I have found that drinking water helps eliminate them if not water then cold mild or cold Ensure. For several weeks after each dilation the spasms were pretty intense but then they seemed to calm down after a while. For me it seems to be associated with acid reflux. If I avoid things that trigger acid reflux then my spasms are usually minimal. For me it is chocolate, red meat, and tomatoes that trigger the spasm.  

Unfortunatley for me the dialations did not work so I am going in a few months to have the Heller Myotemy. I am quite nervous that the spasms will start up again after this proceedure because the spasms are sooo painful but I feel confident that I can manage them.

Obvioulsy, this is just my story and everyone is different. I wish you all the best!

• Posted

Hi Amy, I had a Linx procedure two months ago and in the last week I've had esophageal spasms a couple times for several days in a row, and they're still causing pain at this moment. The surgeon prescribed a anti-spasm medicine that did nothing for it. Seems like my options, if this doesn't go away, is to have to Linx device removed and do a Fundoplication instead, or just remove the device and go back to living with GERD. Have you had luck with anything since you posted this thread? Thank you!

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem.   Sometimes the spasms might be caused by nerve interference perhaps/  but in any event I would persist with returning to the surgeon to try an alternative medication.
  • Posted

What exactly do you mean by "spasms". Is this pain? Is it discomfort? Describe in more specific detain what you mean by spasms. I am curious.

• Posted

Yes. It's extreme pain in your chest/back. You ever get a muscle spasm in you let it foot it's that times 100 in your chest. I thought I was having a heart attack the first time it happened to me. It is miserable I have lived with it myself for 6 years it only gets worse through time and they last for hours. I get them 3 to 4 times a week. Doctors say there isn't anything they can do.

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post-op from a Heller's Myotomy with Dor Fundoplication. Before surgery, I had terrible spasms and increasing difficulty swallowing. I regurgitated nearly everything, lost weight and always had my condition on my mind because I felt so bad. Now completed the post-op diet, I feel healthy...human again. Zero spasms. As long as I eat small freq. meals and chew well, I can eat anything. The 6 scars from the laparoscopic surgery are barely visible. My best to you in your decisions.

• Posted

I should add that I've noticed heartburn with dairy. It can get quite painful but now take a lactaid and it goes right away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.