Special Diets

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I am just wondering if anyone here has followed a special diet to see if that helps vulvodynia. I tried the Elimination Diet... but no difference at all. I have gotten rid of dairy completely, but the sugar thing is a real problem. I get depressed if I don't have chocolate. I've looked for sugar free chocolate everywhere. No luck.  I do see sugar free.. but it has loads of artificial sweeteners which are just as bad.  Any ideas?  No honey, no cheating on Saturdays... calories only count on Tuesdays?  twisted

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My vulvodynia had been long-standing (7 years!) and I accidentally found out that I was sensitive to the solanacea family of foods (potato, tomato, chilli, capsicum, eggplant, tobacco) when I was sick with gastroenteritis for a week and couldn't eat solids.  During that time, my vulvodynia symptoms completely disappeared, so it occurred to me that my symptoms could be explained by what I was eating.  As I gradually introduced food after the gastro, I found that my symptoms came back with a vengeance whenever I ate particularly potato and tomato.  I have cut these items out of my diet completely now and for the past four years only have a flare-up of vulvodynia whenever I accidentally eat any of those foods I'm sensitive to.  It's very difficult to find pre-made foods without tomato for instance, I have to read labels a lot and also do a lot of my own cooking from scratch.  But I've been interested to find how many of my friends had been suffering in silence and when I started talking about this they also tried an elimination diet and been cured.  This is after years of chasing my tail with doctors who had no idea, by the way, I was told it was all sorts of things and nothing doctors gave me ever did any good.  But try to cut out the solanaceas for a little while.  All you've got to lose is your vulvodynia!

Minamii

• Posted

I haven;t had any of the foods you talked about, but maybe sugar is a problem?  Thanks Minamii
  • Posted

Very dark chocolate e.g 85% has very little sugar. I tried a low oxalate diet but that didn’t seem to make any difference.

• Posted

Very dark chocolate e.g 85% has very little sugar. I tried reducing oxalates which is supposed to help but that didn’t seem to make any difference.
  • Posted

Be careful with chocolate if you're sensitive of oxalates, chocolate has quite high levels.  

Minamii

• Posted

Maybe I should try a no chocolate diet and see if anything changes?  I am addicted to chocolate, but if it's causing the vulva problem.. then it's GOT to go!  Oh my!  Thank you Minamii.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.