Specific foods good or bad for Graves disease?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone here,

I am a new GD patient. After trying to clean up my diet in order to cope with autoimmune diet protocol, a few foods are left unclarified as good or bad for GD while tending to pick up them for my new diet. With no clear information searched/found on the internet, I hope maybe members from this forum can help. Here are the three foods I am looking to add to my new diet, but with no hint as good or bad for me:

1. pure cranberry juice 2. mushroom (farm grown) 3. sparkling water w/o sugar, with or w/o natural flavor

Appreciate your input.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello koa61308, 

I don't have info on these particular foods but some here will I'm sure.

I'm also trying to work on my diet by eliminating gluten and sugar and additives.  I'm having a problem with losing too much weight and muscle weakness- about 15 lbs in a couple of months. I wasn't overweight before being diagnosed with Graves.  I'm finding it difficult to get enough calories.  

Have you had issues with this and what have you been eating?  Some of the auto-immune paleo diets are so restrictive. 

• Posted

Hi Martha, You, I think, are rightly on the dietary path to healing GD. And you are also right on the harsh restriction from autoimmune protocol. That's why I have to keep searching replacement foods for the banned by the protocol that I used to eat b4. And yes, I lost about 10 lb since GD symptoms came up. It did not stop/stabilize until I started taking MMI (lower T4T3 - lower metabolism - gain weight), supplements, herbs, and some high nutrition foods. Now I am back up about 7 lb. For the sake of weight loss problem, you may want to consider some interesting/nutritional/costy foods: grass fed goat milk (make it lactose free), organic grass fed bone broth, high-end canned sardines, vege meal replacement shake (I drink Komplete brand from Kate Farms, it's all toxin free and lots of probiotics), and good organic meats and wild catch seafoods (all farm raised seafoods are no no), etc. Other than these, eating lot of green vege is good for the immune system, but not much for gaining weight/muscle back. And remember egg (especially egg white) and all nightshade plants including potato, tomato, eggplant, all peppers (green yellow, red, hot, spicy,...) are also banned for autoimmune. The list goes on ...

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information.  I'm so discouraged by the diet, they say give up caffeine too.  My morning cup of coffee is what keeps me going!  I'm a senior on a very small fixed income and the recommended foods are so expensive. 

What brand of the bone broth are you using?  I'm hesitant to order any from the Internet if I don't know anything about it. 

Just feeling discouraged today without energy to research some receipts. 

What is MMI?  Is that methamizole? I'm on that and a beta blocker. 

• Posted

Hey Martha,

Don't be discouraged. I am a senior on low retirement/savings too. Life is hard, but somehow we can all find a way through our life for good I believe. I would not recommend everyone to eat those expensive foods, but just take consideration and see if work for you. If for any reason they don't work for you, just pass and go on to maybe a better alternative you will find (gotta let me know thensmile

I use "Kettle and Fire" organic bone broth. It's costy. Maybe you can make yourself or your family can?

Yes, I'm taking methimazole, but not bb.

Wish you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.