Speck of blood in urine

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all. I'm diabetic who injects twice daily and my eGFR was 63 last blood test. a urine test was performed and a speck of blood was discovered in it I had a speck of blood in a test 4 months ago also. ihad the same eGFR of 63 that time also. the doc did another blood. but nothing came back to him. this time however he has referred me to a renal clinic here in Galway ireland. I'm a little apprehensive( in fact I'm very apprehensive about it). but it could be to do with the glomeruli from diabetes . I'll have to accept it and get on with it. I dont have any pain in bladder or kidneys. any advice welcome. I'm 15 years diabetic...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi, in ireland a GFR of greater than 60 is considered normal, the fact that they did the bloods 4 months apart and they stayed the same is good. a pot of people have trace elements of blood in there urine and theres loads of reasons for it. bit given your diabetes you are at a higher risk for kidney disease so you should watch your protein consumption. if youre having large levels of protein in your urine thats when to be concerned.

• Posted

thanks for reply. doc said protein was ok so now am wondering why he would send me to renal clinic at all. maybe cos he saw blood previously in it . is the cysticopy painful as thats the part I dont like the most I think. Cheers kevin.

• Posted

I have a friend who had epididymitis, and he had a cystoscopy and he said it was excruciating. He called it Medieval torture. But! He did have an infection, which could have made things sore and swollen inside. That may explain how hard it was for him. He was completely traumatised by it. He found out later that you CAN request a general anesthetic for it. They don't seem to tell men that, I suppose because its a speedier thing to have them in the office, a few nurses holding you down while the doctor does it, and then move on to the next patient. Doing it under anesthetic could have it's own potential complications as well I suppose. They don't seem to warn men about how painful this test CAN be.

I googled it and it said: Cystoscopy may be done in a testing room, using a local anesthetic jelly to numb your urethra. Or it may be done as an outpatient procedure, with sedation. Another option is to have cystoscopy in the hospital during general anesthesia. The type of cystoscopy you'll have depends on the reason for your procedure.

If I was you....., I would request to have it done under sedation as an outpatient. (Be firm about that!)

Do a search on the word Cystoscopy on these forums here at Patient.info and get advice from people who have gone through it.

I googled 'male Cystoscopy hell', and there is lots of info there on google to help you make a decision.

Keep us updated.

• Posted

thanks melody. whatever happens, I have to go through with it. do they use lubricant gel when sedation is given

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.