Speech problems.

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi ladies.  I've checked the 66 peri menopausal list and this symptom is not listed.  Lately, I've been mispronouncing words a lot and it's freaking me out.  I'm tired and stressed like many in this group but I've never read about others having this problem.  Help please.

8 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it is a problem I have noticed it too like I want to say one word which is the right word BUT I would say a total different word. Plus I would pronounce a word weird like slurred funny kinda hard to explain. I think another lady on here which is a teacher and had an issue too with this symptom  I know I do!
    • Posted

This happens to me also, I feel so embarrassed as I feel like an idiot 😞. I'll go to say will you pass the cookie and candle will come out instead! Frustrating!!

Ashley x

• Edited

Yes, that is one of the symptoms I have. I even have an accent, and an not able to speak in public like I used to. They say macs is supposed to help. 
  • Edited

Yes, I totally have this problem. I trip over odd words, slur them, and have trouble completing sentences sometimes. It gives me a huge amount of social anxiety as a result. 
    • Posted

I also have trouble recalling the correct word to use. It will be in my head one second, and then completely gone when I want to say it. Or I will have trouble coming up with a very simple word to explain something to another person and feel like and idiot asking them what the word is.
  • Edited

Hi, I so have this symptom as well. Exact same as what everyone is replying. Slurred, incomplete sentences, wrong words etc.  Again, I'm so grateful for this support. My anxiety is so much more relaxed hearing all of the same symptom comparisons.  Thank you all for your honesty

• Posted

Yes... now that you mention it-- I've noticed that as well.  I said "buh-guy" to someone the other day. I meant goodbye, and then my inside my head I started going "buy-guy buh-guy" like the sound of a chicken squawking. LOL  I sometimes find it difficult to carry on a conversation, because I've realized how I think I'll sound and what comes out of my mouth don't match.

• Posted

I have this occasionally too ... and also my voice gets tired quicker and I can't maintain loud speech for long and have to turn the TV off if I have to repeat myself louder.  I've read that hormone fluctuations can affect your larynx. 

• Posted

Thanks for your speedy and frank responses ladies.  It's such a relief to know that this symptom is part of the menopause.   Hopefully, this feeling of inadequacy when speaking in public will pass.  Good luck ladies and take care of yourselves.  

Kind regards.  💐🌺🌷

• Posted

Hi, yes I have this too, I usually muddle up the words in the sentence and say them round the wrong way. But I also mix up individual words too. I found this used to happen the week before my period for the last few years. Had a hysterectomy last year, still have my ovaries though, and still muddling my words, usually it's worse for a few days which I'm guessing is when I must be still ovulating. Sometimes I slur too, but I just make a joke of it and carry on. Other times, I hear what comes out of my mouth and have to sit and think for a while to rephrase what I've said to make myself understood. Most times people know what I mean anyway.

• Posted

Yes this is another one on my hitlist - people have actually thought I was having a stroke as the words came out as a garbled mess.
  • Posted

Yep, right there with ya. Happens nearly every day. I either can’t find the right word, or I find it but say it incorrectly. More often than not, I just blank out. I feel far less articulate than I used to be. Super annoying!
  • Posted

Hello ladies, I came across this blog in hopes of some help. Every day I've noticed that I fit this exact description of you all. I'm losing my mind! I can't speak correctly and I'm becoming much more insecure with my ability to talk. I'm 54 and had an ablation last November due to excessive bleeding. My doctor took me off all meds. If any of you can give me some insight as to what will help, I would be indebted to you for life. Please Heeeelp!!! ;-)

• Posted

I have had the several months back. So much so, it worried me! At the time I had low ferritin, iron and B-12. Per my Dr orders,  I started taking iron supplements, eating chicken liver and a lot more beef. I also tried supplementing B-12, but it didn't suit me... not sure why. All my levels went up to a more midline level. I noticed after taking my supplements this issue went away. Im not sure if my issue is solved by improving my vitamin/mineral levels or if it's just luck. I'm glad its gone because it was getting noticeable to others and it was frustrating for me. Stand there trying to say something simple and literally couldn't remember a simple, common word OR I'd know the word but my mouth couldn't say it! Very odd! Maybe check your vitamin and mineral levels. Even if they are low in range it can cause many symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.