Speech problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've only been diagnosed for just over a month so still getting to know fibro. Yesterday I was reading one of our favorite books to my group of preschoolers and I completely mixed up the words. I know the book inside out and I could read the words in my head but they came out all mixed up. The kids thought I was doing it on purpose and had a great laugh but I'm quite worried about it and scared to read to them today.Does this happen to anyone else???

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deborah

Unfortunately it is quite common to mix words- brain fog.  Often I find what I am thinking is lost on the journey between brain and mouth.  It takes some getting used to. I tend to make a joke of it and laugh but when it first happens it is very distressing. I was talking to a new boss when it first happened to me, we were talking about drugs (working for a vet) when I said "I cant find the 50ml wedding" I meant syringes. Where on earth did the word wedding come from - who knows!  The kids did exactly the right thing - laugh. Please do not get embarrassed by it and laugh along with the children.

• Posted

Hi Deborah I can relate to this and funny enough I was just talking to my friend yesterday about how I sometimes get words mixed up when I'm feeling tired... when she came over we were chatting for hours then all of a sudden a tiredness came over me and I started to forget words say the wrong thing and when she said something to me i was looking at her blankly as it just wasn't registering in my head...I explained I wasn't being ignorant this is just what happens to me...I was telling my friend when I was a little girl my mother got her words mixed up quite a bit and we would laugh it off once she  shouted up the stairs the (bath is in the water) only when I was telling my friend I got this right and corrected myself to get it wrong we had a good laugh about it...I also wished one of my kids a Bappy  hirthday once instead of Happy birthday they thought I was just loopy and we all laughed...my older sister has done a similar thing for years with her words she gets frustrated I think maybe because she is aware our mother developed Dementia   I wonder if it's hereditary mmm..anyone else with family members like this

Shirl

• Posted

Its upsetting and worrying when it 1st happens unfortunatly for us its a symptom of fibro. it happens to me all. also my speech is sometimes and sometimes I cant speak at all., and have to write things down and do hand signals fibro throws alot of different symptoms at us. it can be frightening when you experience it for the 1st time
  • Posted

Hi deborah Im having a bad day today with fibro fog, what I was trying to say to you, but it didnt come out right. the speech problems we have its all to do with the fibro, its a fibro symptom. when it 1st happens to you it can be very upsetting and worrying. it happens to me all the time, I admit that if people make fun of me I have got upset. But after hearing how the ladies on here handle it. I think the best way to handle it is laugh about it. we cant help it, its just 1 of those of things. fibro throws alot of different symptoms at us, and its finding ways of how best to deal with them. its a learning curve for us all but we will get their. we will all support each other through this horrible conditionsmile take care  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.