Sperm Microbiology - 2 Completely Different Results - 1 Month Apart

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been affected with prostatitis for almost 3 months now.

I have first performed a microbiology test on a sperm sample that gave as results:

• Streptococcus Sanguinins (10 to the 6th power UFC/ml)
  • Streptococcus spp.
  • Enterobacterie spp.

Following a 10 day treatment with Augmentin (2 x day; 625 mg), the symptoms have reappeared and I have performed another microbiology test on a sperm sample, one month after. This gave completely different results in terms of bacteria:

• Esc. Coli
  • Enetrococcus Raffinosus
  • Staphylococcus coagulase negative

Any idea about what this difference in bacteria population might mean?

Is it a good sign that the streptococci have been removed?

Would another course of Augmentin get rid of the remaining bacteria?

Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't have an answer for but I have a question. Have you ever had unprotected anal sex . Not on the receiving end. I just curious how you were infected with this bacteria

• Posted

Taking more antibiotics might make it worse - E Coli can apparently be treated with D Mannose - why not try that and see how it goes/

• Posted

what abx are rhe bacteria susceptible to?

10 days on abx is Typically not long enough 4-6 weeks is minimum abx treatment duration

demand longer course of abx!

• Posted

I did the test but because my UK GP declined to sign the form the result didn't come with any antimicrobial recommendations

It did say the bacterial load was low ie under 10 to the power 5 DNL copies per mL and that they'd found Strep Mitis NGS % 38 Gram stain +ve and Respiration F An

God knows what this means - I was sort of taking it that because I'd got low bacterial load there isn't an infection as such there

• Posted

I did the test but because my UK GP declined to sign the form the result didn't come with any antimicrobial recommendations

It did say the bacterial load was low ie under 10 to the power 5 DNL copies per mL and that they'd found Strep Mitis NGS % 38 Gram stain +ve and Respiration F An

God knows what this means - I was sort of taking it that because I'd got low bacterial load there isn't an infection as such there

• Posted

you need get another semen culture or eps culture and ensure bacteria is teated for abx suceptability

thats the only way to know which abx will work

make sure you are off abx for a few weeks before the semen test

if augmentin worked before, no reason to not try it again but for 6 weeks minimum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.