Sperm quality with UC

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I'm a male aged 36 years old and was wondering whether the sperm quality is effected by taking the ASACOL medication.

Someone told me that it is effected when you have a flare but what about in remission state and having a normal life.

My wife is too much worried about this and wanted some of the inputs from personal experience.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my husband takes asacol and azathioprine and like your wife I was also worried about the effect it would have on his sperm. However when we did try for a baby I got pregnant straight away so the medication he is on doesn't seem to be having much effect on his sperm. His IBD nurse did say if we had problems conceiving she would look to put him on something else for a period of time.
    • Posted

Thanks Ashley..

One more question.. did the pregnancy went smoothly or any hiccups ?

Thanks again

• Posted

Medicine seems to always effect people differently, but my guess it is not much of a concern for most.
  • Posted

Hi I16290

My apologies, but I can be of no practical help on this subject, never having been in a relationship where my fertility was an issue.

I would have thought that if this was a known potential side effect, it would be listed on the patient information leaflet supplied with the drug.  You could, of course, also ask either your pharmacist and/or GP for their opinion.

What I would say to you and other UC sufferers who may be ignorant of the following potential health issue, is that UC sufferers are about 3 times more likely to develop blood clots (dvts) than non-sufferers. Whether that increased risk is significant only during a flare-up, I do not know. 

I wish you the very best of good health. 

Peter    

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the inputs..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.