Sphenoid sinusitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

After lots of symptoms for a couple of months, a neuroradiologist has reevaluated my MRI results and thinks I may have chronic sphenoid sinusitus. Does anyone have any experience of this, I can only find cary things online! Booked to see an ENT on Tuesday, what's likely to happen now?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hayley ,

Am so sorry you are going through this. Last year i had terrible sinus issues. I tried different antibiotics and i would get alittle better but then the symtoms would come back. So then I saw an ENT and they ordered a CT of the sinuses and they did cultures to see if i had fungus or bacterial infection. My diagnosis came back pansinusitis .Which means all of my sinuses were inflammed and some with mucosal thickening. The cultures came back negative . The ENT said this was being caused by allergies. They recommended surgery to clean out my sinuses. Since this was the first time that i had a serious problem with my sinuses I decided not to have the surgery . I didnt want to have the surgery then in 2 months have the problem come back without knowing what i was allergic too. So i went to an allergist and they tested me for allergies. The only thing that showed up was mold. So the allergist put me on Flonase nasal spray everyday and zyrtec as needed and a dehumidefier. As time went on my sinuses started to get better with the treatment and i went all summer with no problems. I am so glad I didnt have the surgery. I live in Florida and mold is everywhere so if i had the surgery i would of been in the same predicament as when I started. So my suggestion to you is ask a lot of questions as to what is causing your problems and what are your options on how to treat it. And if you have to go to the allergist go because they also treat the sinuses. I wish you good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for your reply and glad to hear your problem is resolving now. Was your sphenoid sinus affected too. I'm seeing an ENT on Tuesday so I'll certainly ask him about potential allergens as I have not really had sinus problems in the past either.

• Posted

Hi Haley ,

Yes , every single sinus was affected either with inflammation or mucosal thickening . At one point they thought I might have polyps but non showed up in the sinus CT. As i had mentioned earlier I am 63 years old and i have had sinus issues before and taking antibiotics would always take care of it but this time it just lasted so long even though i took two rounds of different antibiotics that i am so glad i got another opinion with an allergist . Good luck to you and keep us posted .

• Posted

Hello! Did you have pain around the sinuses? I have been diagnosed with the exact same issue pansinusitis where all areas are inflammed and mucosa is swollen and my Dr thought also that it could be due some kind of allergies. I need to be tested soon but just wanted to ask if u have pain or bad sensation like itching almost or like something is inside ur face? sometimes feels kinda tingly almost and difficult to describe? Did zyrtec help right away? how long did u use it for and how often?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Shfer,

I am so sorry you are going through this. Yes, boy did i have pain . It was all over my face but especially in my cheek bones and forehead. I used a saline irrigation called neil med the one with the bottle once a day. This did make me feel better . Then i used flonase everyday , and zyrtec at night and sometimes if i was really congested i would take a mucinex the plain one and that seemed to help. I didnt use zyrtec for too long as it dries me out. I didnt feel itching it was just pain. Please do go to an allergist they are specialize in dealing with sinus issues also. Get tested for everything and if they find something then the allergy shots really help a lot. Unfortunately i wasnt a candidate for allergy shots because i was only allergic to mold. And I live in Florida and there is mold everwhere. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.