Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had my gallbladder out for about 1.5 years now. Ever since I've had constant diarrhea (which I have been placed on nasty medication for) and reoccurring extremely sharp pains about in the same area as where I had the gallbladder pains. I've done a lot of research and have noticed something called sphincter of oddi dysfunction. Has anyone ever been diagnosed with this or have any additional information that they could share?

Thanks!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gallbladder removal can set off diatary issues and pain. Gallbladder is responsible for enzymes that break up fat in foods. Without it, it takes the body time to adjust. Some take enzymes after surgery. Ask your doc for RX.

If you think you have the Odi spasms or disorder then ask your doctor! A gastroenterologist would know your med history. 

It took several years , (and I never eat out), to adjust my diet . I kept a diary of the foods that trigger pain to avoid and all the side effects of gallbladder removal. Ask about the diet recommended after surgery. The biggest thing is no fried or fatty foods and eat lots of sugar free yogurt. After discovering this my tummy issues were gone. I eat yogurt, fermented foods, and take probiotics to help balance gut bacteria for a balanced gut every day. The enzymes didn't help me they could help you, worth a try. 

Mabe this is something that can help we are all different. I know how frustrating & painful this is and it seems like it takes so long to finally live without pain from surgery and just eat in peace! 👍 

Take Care keep in touch. 

HAPPY HOLIDAYS🎄

• Posted

What is you diet like, please don't tell me you eat out, fried food and high fat diet.

You have to be on low fat diet,no fast foods.no large meals. No sweats. 6 meals a day. It took me 12 years to find this out and all the doctors did nothing.

• Posted

12 years YIKES ! I agree it took me years too! I hope you are doing well now! 

Who woulda thought food could be such a pain! 😑 Your post sounds like a very familiar experience & something we can offer others from our years of trying to find a solution. 

At least we know that this does get better! And at the time I had mine removed there were no health blogs on the internet like there is today! 

• Posted

Hi Laura, I know alot of people do have bowel problems after surgery and as someone has previously said try adjusting your diet and see if some foods make it worse. Unfortunately I believe that for some after surgery it makes your bowels sensitive. 

I hope you haven't got sphincter of oddi dysfunction as there isn't a cure for the most common type. They thought I might have this before I had my gallbladder out and I still have awful pains in the same place as my gallbladder which goes into my back and upto my shoulder blades. I eventually went to a private doctor as I was suffering so much and he thought I might have abdominal wall nerve entrapment, its not very common but it does give you awful pain which gets worse especially if you're right handed as movement aggravates it. I was referred to a pain clinic and they found I was positive for Carnetts sign so they booked me in to have a nerve block put into those areas that are causing the pain.

They don't know how long the nerve block will last as its different in everyone and unfortunately it only lasted a few weeks before I started to get pain again but as it worked initially it did confirm the diagnosis that it was nerve entrapment. I'm just waiting now for another appointment to do the procedure again to see if it lasts longer this time.

I have spoken to someone on here who's daughter has sphincter of oddi dysfunction and she was in chronic pain all the time and not able to eat. |Its certainly a life altering diagnosis.

It maybe that you have 2 issues, one with your bowels and then the pain, if you go to your gp they can refer you to the pain clinic.

Let me know how it goes. 

• Posted

hi,

before your had your nerve block what and how often was your pain like before?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.