Spider Veins in an unusual place?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm 24years old and have had spider veins on my thighs for the last few years - they do not bother me as I've got used to them (my mum has always had them so I guess they are hereditary). Recently I've noticed a couple on my lower left abdomen? Is this normal to get them on ones stomach? I've only ever heard of them being typically present on legs and faces. I'm healthy, don't smoke, very rarely drink and I look after myself. Not put on any weight and have a healthy BMI (on the lower end but healthy), nothing has changed health wise aside from being on a new birth control pill for the last 3 months. Any advice/reassurance would be appreciated.

Thank you, Sarah.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I'm the same, had them on my thighs since I was a kid but they got worse as I got older. I had sclerotherapy last year for about 8 sessions, it did not work for me. The vascular consultant said they normally appear further down the leg but my mum has them on her thighs too. The injections apparently work in about a third of cases, it didn't for me. I developed them on my stomach recently too but I was told it's nothing to worry about. I'm going to try laser for my thighs because they're particularly bad at the back and I'm self conscious of them as they are very purple, The consultant does not think the laser will work but it's the last thing I can try. I am also very pale so they stand out. I think the meds I was taking played a factor in developing mine.

I had diathermy for years on my face as I came out of hospital after a month on steroid injections and I had broken capillaries suddenly all over my face (I went in with none on my face) but I ballooned on the steroids and had a bad reaction. I have to say that the diathermy worked and it's instant, but it's not suitable for legs as the veins are deeper.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.