Spigelian Hernia

Posted , 8 users are following.

I wondered if anyone has been diagnosed with a Spigelian hernia?

I seen a general surgeon who put me on 'watchful waiting' which to me simply means waiting around until it strangulates, or in other words bursts.

I have read where Spigelian are the most likly to strangulate as they are very treacherous. Now Im petrified just waiting around because 4 years ago I had emergency surgery for a perforated ulcer and the surgeon told me had I waited another half hour to call paramedics I would be dead.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has been diagnosed specifically with this type of hernia?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry for your health problem. I also am plagued by hernia problems and have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. You might try gerson.org for some useful information. Hope you find help.

Ron

• Posted

Thanks Ron! Will check out that site.

Sorry for your troubles also.

• Posted

Do not rush into hernia surgery. Do your homework. Get a second opinion.

• Posted

As a matter of fact I'm going to a different general surgeon next week for a second opinion. Trust me I don't want hernia surgery but the way this type of hernia is described sounds as if there's no choice. Are you familiar with Spigelian hernias?

They're suppose to be very rare and I've had a few regular doctors tell me they'd never heard of them.

• Edited

I had a spigelian hernia a number of years ago. My surgeon told me that they are rare and prone to strangulation so recommended surgery. The smaller they are, the more likely they are to strangulate. That one was my 1st hernia and the surgery and recovery went smoothly. However, I have had a lot of hernias since and surgery for them has not been as straightforward. I have another hernia which is starting to become painful now but I'm delaying surgery as, ironically, the more abdominal incisions you have, the more likely you are to get hernias

• Posted

Yes they are suppose to be very rare something like 0.12 % actually get them. I have 3 of them plus a hiatus!

Lucky me haha.

Anyway no surgery to date and I know what you mean because apparently the hernias could have been caused from the ulcer surgery. So you get any kind of abdominal surgery and up pops another hernia.

It is ironic indeed.

Thanks for responding because most people haven't even heard of them.

• Posted

Hi Carol, I've just come across your post and can see it was Sept last year. I recently had emergency surgery for a strangulated spigelian hurnia. Have you had your surgery yet?

• Posted

Hi Catherine,

No I haven't had any surgery. I saw a general surgeon and he put me on 'watchful waiting'. In other words wait until it strangulates and then deal with it.

It makes me nervous because I had emergency surgery for a perforated ulcer back in 2014.

How did your surgery go?

• Edited

Hi Carol

I have recently had my 4th Spigelian Hernia repair.

The hernias were all repaired due to bowel involvement and worsening pain symptoms.

The first repair I had, which was 6 years ago, was due to incarceration which was life threatening.

Keep an eye on your symptoms and report any increase in pain promptly as well as any changes in your bowel habits (ie worsening constipation)

All of my repairs have used mesh....which can cause ongoing chronic pain....but nothing like the pain of incarceration.

Surgery is the only way to treat a Spigelian Hernia so ask them the reasons they have asked you to wait. It could be that the hernia defect is wide necked with low chance of strangulation and minimal symptoms?

Hope this helps a little

• Edited

Thanks Mrs JuliaD..

At my next Dr. appt. coming up in a few weeks I will ask why the wait. It's not like she's unaware of the hernias.. but she never offers any suggestions.

Maybe the idea is just to wait until one incarcerates, who knows. But yes your feedback is very helpful because I'm not in the mood for going through incarceration ☹

I had a duodenal ulcer perforate in the past. It was life threatening, emergency surgery .. and the pain was beyond excrutiating so I know exactly what you mean.

• Edited

Hi guy's i found this post on Google

I had surgery for spiegel hernia last week.

I was the hole week in the hospital becouse of very much pain. I am home now, with the same amount of pain.

I can't walk, i can't bend down, it is painful to sit down.

From the hospital they said all is good, it is just post operation pain.

Have anyone experience something like this?

• Posted

Hi Sergius,

The post -op pain is to be expected I guess. I do wish you a speedy recovery though!

May I ask how long ago you were diagnosed with this particular hernia? And why did they decide to do the surgery when they did?

Sorry I've had no experience with hernia surgery. I'm on 'watchful waiting' and have been for about 6 years.

• Posted

hello there ! I wanted to jump on to see what i could find. I had surgery a little over 2 weeks ago, and they discovered the rare spigelian hernia, which they repaired via surgical mesh. It was an exploratory surgery- after numerous years and doctors, imaging, etc. with no answers for numerous ailments to include a pulling with intense nerve pain, nausea, constipation (& impaction) from my upper left abdomen around to my back and down my sciatic and around to my left hip. I have had numerous abdominal surgeries over the years. In 2015, at the age of 32, I had a total hysterectomy and lap cholec gallbladder removal. Since then I have had bouts of the pain, nausea, fatigue, aching, to where I pretty much felt debilitated after having COVID in 2019 up until recently. Recovery has been a little rough, but getting better!! So far- I feel 'where it was" , but my back and hip pain arent there thank goodness!! I have been reading how rare they are and I know what I have been through, so i am sharing in hopes of helping anyone else I can! I felt so old, not sure if i was going to be ok-I have a 12 year old and an 8 yr old who need me! now I have hope

:

• Posted

You've certainly been through a lot .

Thank you so much for sharing . It's always very helpful to others who may be facing hernia surgery, or even just having hernias.

I know with my hiatal hernia I developed Acid Reflux which I've been on meds for over 15 years as well as a host of other issues pertaining to hernias . To people without hernias they may not seem too harmful ..but they can basically make your life a total misery.

I'm glad you've found some hope now for yourself and your family . It gives you a new lease on life.

Take care,

Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.