spinal canal decompression & removal of L5/S1 dsc protru

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I had spinal canal decompression and removal of L5/S1 disc protrusion three weeks ago, pain went almost immediatly BUT at mo I am in slight discomfort in back and not sure now if that is due to disc or just the op, however, have read a fair few people saying they have had the op and are no better off and still in pain, my question to you is did it get better at all and then start to hurt or did u know straight away the op hadn't worked..... guess this is more for peace of mind than anything else.

Look forward to your replies

many thanks

Russ

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wuffy,

I knew straight after they took me off the Morphine the next day that my Operation hadn't been a success.

I'm now waiting to go and have a 2nd Op PLIF (Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion) but unfortunately I have to wait 4-5 months and this is the Urgent List, god help anyone who's not classed as Urgent.

Hope this helps a little.

Angela[/img]

• Posted

hi both having browsed many a site on this sugject over the months and it seems that sometimes people do get quite a bit of pain a few weeks after surgery due to inflammation of the nerves, so im not going to panic(so says me lol) if i do experience anything like that. im looking forward to coming around after the op and being able to lift my arm! ill probebly get a few funny looks trying to stick my arm up in the air lol. yeh angela i was told in feb that i needed an urgent op and here i am still here, i do get afraid as i have spinel compression and displacement with the prolapse, but hopfully that will all be behind me soon .take care both. gail
  • Posted

Thank you both for your reply, Im just concerned about having some aches and pains three weeks afetr op, and I was certainly pain free once all the morphine etc wore off and its only now I am beginning to feel any ache or pain, but saying all that, what I felt prior to the op was so painful I would happily live with what I have now and if I should need a second op ( though I am sure I wont ) I would have it in a split second....

Hey cant blame a guy for being just a tad concerned :-)

• Posted

Hi

Two and a half years since my post about the op and the pain three weeks after, thought it might help to roughly update should anyone have any concerns....

I did have one more injection In feb 2008 (I believe) and from that day to this I have been as good as pain free, I do have the odd ache and once in the blue moon a slight pain in the lower back, never ever like the pre op pain though, and I have attended a gym two to three times a week from (probably) May 2008, I do upper body workouts including weights and machines and I am therefore not surprised that I get the occassional ache.

For anyone with any concerns about an op..... remember their are good reviews as well as bad

Hope everyone is well

Best regards

Wuffy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.