Spinal cord simulator for relatively mild CRPS

Posted , 3 users are following.

my Dr thinks scs is my best option although my crps is relatively mild (pain/edema is under control but I'm not able to walk/stand for any consistent or signifcant length of time without it flaring up)

if I was at my worst (unable to put any weight on my leg, not able to handle the slightest touch etc) I don't know that I'd question the treatment.  

Dr's goal is getting a "normal" life back --- able to work/play with my kids etc.

Looking for any feedback -- I know people who have had scs but their situations were vastly different than mine

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi my name is Carol, Why is scs the only option, have you tried a tens machine?
    • Posted

Oh it's not the only option. It's what he thinks is the best long-term strategy.

I've had sympathetic nerve blocks and other treatments and I am in an amazing place considering where I've been.

Bonnie

• Posted

What happened to you in the beginning Bonnie? Do you know what scs entails however? Luv C
    • Posted

September 2013 I was injured at work -- a bad bone bruise on my left shin.  Within 6-8 weeks burning, tingling etc started developing.  By December of 2013 I was on crutches -- unable to put any weight on it at all or even touch due to hypersensitivity. 

January 2014 crps was mentioned as a possibility for the first time but it wasn't until September 2014 that I was able to be seen by a Dr who is actually trained in dealing with this.  

I've done lots of physical therapy, meds, multiple sympathic nerve blocks and am doing loads better than I was.  Febuary 2015 I asked for my work restrictions to be changed from 4 hours a day (with limited walking/standing) to 6 hours a day (resting for 15 minutes every hour).  

At this point it's starting to flare up again.  Discoloration, swelling, burning/tingling has come back.  I'm taking nerontin and we've increased the dosage.   I'm continuing with the same work restrictions -- the benefit of doing close to my usual job/routine still outweigh the physical discomfort.  My doctor doesn't want to do another sympathic nerve block unless the pain becomes unbearable but is continuing to push the scs as the best treatment.  

I've read that it's better to have the stimulator implanted before you get to really hardcore levels of pain -- that it's more effective?   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.