Spinal Cord Stimulation

Posted , 20 users are following.

Is there anyone still in this forum?

0 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Buggsy,

Well my Dr. has 3 brands that he likes to use and they are Nevro, St. Jude and Medtronic.  After reading this forum for like an hour the Nevro does not seem to be that great so do you know anything about the other 2.

• Posted

He actually wants me to call the reps and ask questions but I have no clue of what to ask...
    • Posted

Hi Tammy

I guess you in the USA??

Can I ask what your symptoms are?? Do you take meds if so which ones, have you had any operations yet.?

I had 2 devices, one was a low frequency but I don't remember the name, this didn't work for me, due to the vibrations you get I had really bad pain from the device under my rib cage, the then changed it over to the nevro HF 10, I got 60% less pain in left leg but nothing in my right or back so they classed it as a fail, so they said all I can have pain meds going forward, which totally sucks.

George

• Posted

Buggsy1000

Sorry you are still not getting relief in the back with the nervo I wish they find the right program for you

Cynthia ( Cindy,)

• Posted

Sorry about that, yes I am in the US, Louisiana.  I have had 6 Epidural Steroid Injections, Rhizotomy on both sides, a Discography, I have Laminectomy which are the 2 cages that replace L3-L4 & L4-L5. Laminectomy for Herniated Disc.

Now I still have cronic lower back pain and both legs go numb. I have fallen twice because of the legs.  So he want's to try this.  Yes I am on Percocet, Femtamul Patch and a muscle relaxer.  Did I miss anything?

• Posted

Hey Tammy

When you had the laminectomy, did your pain go for a short time or stayed the same or got worse.?

I had similar to you, l3/4/5 and S1, I had discectomies and a annular tare. Had these repaired and a fair amount of my pain went away, about 6 weeks later the pain came back and my discs had bulges again, i then had a spinal fusion but sadly this failed to take, I have 8 rods, 8 screws and 3 cages. My last chance was to go for the spinal cord stimulator, over here we had to do a 2 week input program about learning to live with pain, how the device worked, what to expect etc etc. Then I had the trial, but they said they didn't work, this was done in September.

I started talking to a guy on here who is a Dr and was asking peoples review of the SCS, I emailed him privately and asked why they didn't try the Boston scientific, I have been back to the team this week to ask about it but they seemed reluctant to use it so waved me goodby. After doing a little more reading and trolling around the net it seems that the Boston scientific device is actually the best one to go for.

I know reps try to sell different options, I assume they get funded to promote them. !!!

I have been told by a few people that my local hospital gets a very large sum of money from Nevro to use there HF10 device, to help with they budgets.

Whatever you decide I hope it works for you :-)

• Posted

I had the Nevro inplanted about 5 months ago and Mayo is still adjusting it.  I have no vibrations or pain as some are experiencing with the others. It, so far, has decreased my pain by 20% and am still on Hydrocondin.  Marie
    • Posted

How did you get into the mayo? I've been trying for years but they don't find my chronic back pain, fibromyalgia and chronic hives interesting enough. Are you located in Minnesota or Arizona? I have decent doctors but would love to have a team that thinks outside the box. I've had a fusion that was successful (after months of recovery) for a few months and then it failed. My primary concern is my back pain near the fusion l5-s1 and lower. I have a bulge at l4-l5 that the drs won't touch since the other fusion was not a success. I've had a ton of other diagnostics and injections. Last year I went to a new surgeon who had success with Boston scientific scs. I had the trial and it was not successful until day 5 when it was scheduled to be removed. The dr let me extend the trial a few days and I nearly felt human! I went to Costco and ran other errands with my husband. I was out and about for over 5hrs and wasn't stuck in bed for the next 5 days recovering. I was so excited to have the implant. It's been 8 months and multiple reprograms later and i have not had a minute of relief. I am frustrated and disappointed beyond words. I take more meds than most 90yr olds and I'm not even 50. Any suggestions for how I might make a successful attempt at the mayo would be appreciated. 

Regards,

zoe

• Posted

I have the Boston Scientific version as it has wireless charging and up to 4 wires with 32 contact points each. Based on my research h no other option was even close. It is installed in my spine between the shoulder blades and recovery us time consuming and painful. It has been 5 months and though I am doing better still am very aware if implant and problems from it. It does help me with the pain I was having by at least 50 percent when on. New pain offset savings up to about right now so hoping to keep going forward from here.

One thing of note is once the Neuro Surgeon does his release he is done with you so make sure you are good prior to letting him release you or else you will be searching for help you will be hard pressed to get.

O

• Posted

I had the Medtronic spinal stim for almost 1 year and it only helped my leg pain, not my low back. They removed it and replaced it with the new Nevro HF10 . I was the first person in Grand Rapids,Mi to get the device and this is by far the worst one. It does nothing for my back or my legs. They have exhausted all programs and I will be having it removed in December. These devices are supposed to fool your brain and make you think there is no pain. Well, mine is not fooled so after removal, I will be trying a peripheral nerve stimulator placed directly in my lumbar region. It's a week trial just like the spinal stims and will have a battery implant if I like it. Now that I think about it, this makes sense to place it where the pain is. I have more back pain than I do leg pain so I'm all for it. I was told that it's like a Tens Unit,but inside your body. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Did you get the peripheral nerve stimulator?  If so, how is it working for you?
    • Posted

Yes I did and it only helps with about 20% of my back and leg pain. I leave it on all of the time and have to charge it once a day.. If I keep it at a lower setting it will recharge in about 1hr, but it I turn it up higher, it may take 3hrs to recharge. It is working better than the spinal stimulators, but still isn’t up to my satisfaction. I guess it’s better than nothing.
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone's respose.  My Dr. only uses Medtronic, Nevro and St. Jude.  With what I have read here I don't think that the Nevro is going to be an option so it's between the Medtronic and St. Jude.  I have not seen anyone here that has had the St. Jude so I will have to do research maybe on there web site. 

Again thanks for your help and sharing your stories.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.