Spinal cord stimulato

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone. I’ve been here before.  I was wondering if anyone has a problem with implant site pain. Sometimes it’s worse than my regular back pain. The doctor says it’s because the device couldn’t be put any deeper. My husband puts 2 4inch gauze pads on it taped but I still have a lot of pain there. I am on meds also but the only way i can say weather  the thing is working is to turn it off, which the dr and my husband are against. I have had the scs for 1year now. I’ve had all the things I have heard you people talk about plus 2 surgeries. Plus my primary care just upped my meds again. cry

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Where is it?  We've learned on here that there are all sorts of sites.

• Posted

It is in my left bottuck acouple inches below my waist. I can actually feel the whole device. I am very frustrated with it. Haven’t found the right setting  yet
  • Posted

That sounds about where mine is.  As for settings, that takes awhile, and you have to be pushy to make them play around with the programming. I don't know if yours goes into tingle mode, I have one that does that and I like having that option so you can see what area of your body is being covered by the program.  You can also then set the tingle at a high medium or low then let them set that back into burst mode so you don't feel it-- that's how the Abbott works and that's my more successful SCS.  However, it's been a lot of trial and error to get it just right.

Are you a particularly thin person?  I have enough fat around there that my device isn't noticeable.  When I had my first device put in and lost a bunch of weight rather quickly, the device dropped right down onto my sciatic nerve and that was rather painful.  So, I do think not having a lot of body fat can be a problem with these big devices protruding and pressing on body structures in slimmer individuals.  LOL I hate to tell you to get fat.  I would definitely say that the doc did pick the best place for you, the other places I've heard, like the abdomen right below the ribs, on the back below the ribs, those would be even worse for you.  When my device dropped onto my sciatic nerve my doc took it out and moved it about 2 inches further out, making it a sort of saddlebag almost, but far away from any structures, so I can't sit on it, don't roll on it, my waistband isn't catching on it.  It's kind of in a nice no man's land.  Sometimes asking them to make a small move up, down or to the side can bury the device a bit better and cut down on your discomfort.  Have your hubby take a look back there and see if you have a better fat pat to bury it in than where is currently is.  If you go into your doc with a plan, I want you to move it here because there's more fat here and it is protruding too much here and hurting a lot--they are more likely to listen.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. The problem is another surgery. I guess they remove everthing including the leads. When they put it in originally I got a staff infection and spent a week on antibiotic Iv in the hospital but I love life and the pain takes away from it. What you said is exactly what the pain doctor said. I just had a lumpectomy 2months ago and 16 radiation treatments.  But I am clear now. So that pushes me into deciding soon what I should do. Any thanks for listening

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.