Spinal Cord Stimulator

Posted , 146 users are following.

Has anyone had a spinal cord stimulator,it has been one suggestion for my husband who is still suffering after 4 years after his first surgery, he has had a further op two years ago and is still suffering immense pain, has weakness in his leg and finds walking difficult and now needs a stick to walk with. I am hoping someone has had a spinal cord stimulator that has had similar condition as my husband because as I understand it it is only a minor op to implant.  I think the other option is fusion which I have heard horror stories about, especially as he doesn't seem to have success with major ops.  Thanks

19 likes, 888 replies

888 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi khi i had the second stage permenant scs put into my back today 19.08.14 my advise to you is get as much info as possible i had the trial one last week and so far ive had a few problems with both its seems like its not going to be a easy fix  and it will never stop the pain compleatly but if the technitions can get the programes right im might help but remember it will not work foreveryone hope this helps your disision graham
    • Posted

Hi ,just wondered how you are doing?My husband has just been accepted for trial at St James Leeds.
    • Posted

hi beverley im sorry to say my scs has been a desarster from start to finish and im waiting to have it removed if your hubbie goes ahead with it make sure that he get the paddle leads witch are stitched in and not the leads that are injected as they have a tendency to break or twist hope this helps you with your quest even though it will not be a cure but rather than a aid to pain relief all yhe best graham
    • Posted

sorry fogot to say that this was my permant scs 
    • Posted

Hi Graham,so sorry that you've had a bad time.I know they try to prepare you for failure but you always try to be positive.It must be awful for you.I'm not convinced about the implant but I'm not the one in so much pain.It seems to be that you can't do anything for fear of these leads coming out.I will make enquiries about these paddle leads,they weren't mentioned at all.I wish you all the best for the future and hope you will find some relief.Thanks for taking the time to post.Bev
    • Posted

hi bev thanks for your concern the difference between paddle leads and injection leads is the paddle get stitched into place and the injection float in the epijural space and fuse over time and they are more likely to move around im just going to stick with the tryed and trusted morphen as iv had six faild back ops and ive had enough hope this help and all the best for your quest for pain relief graham
    • Posted

Graham,

Was thinking of you and hoping you are doing OK, I hope to hear from you.

Cindy xx

• Posted

Are you on the Nevro Sensa, the Medtronic, or the Boston Scientific SCS?
    • Posted

Graham 6214,

Hey how are you feeling? It's crazy how we can get kicked to the curb so quickly by everyone and everything, I hope you are feeling a little better. I'm still in the same boat with the Nevro, they think it's gonna work on me but it makes me worse, I just give up with it. I just turned it off for the second or third time, I'm not gonna hurt while they have control. It's not worth it

Hope to hear back from my friend across the pond.

Cynthia xx

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

this was posted a long time ago but I'm hoping you are still out there. Just had Boston scientific trial started yesterday. Is there anything you can help me with? This is weird feeling like electricity. Is the implant the same. Do you get use to it. I still have pain. I am feeling frustrated.

vita

• Posted

Hi all, I am just researching Nevro Spinal Stimulators as it is a new procedure we have recently learnt about and fingers crossed it will be the answer for my mum who has had chronic back pain for 13 years with little success from local hospitals and doctors. Please can you advise how to find out where are doing trials for this procedure and/or carrying out the procedure itself? You'd think family doctor would be keen to investigate for us but we have been asked to go back to them with information! I have found one recent trial but it ended early this year in London (we are Yorkshire).

Many thanks for any help you can give, it has been good reading your comments and hope we are nearing the chance of mum becoming pain free (or hopefully a lot better than she is at present).

Many thanks

• Posted

Search pain management at Leeds University Hospitals. Info there on SCS. Take details to GP,they need to refer you. Good luck.
    • Posted

Should point out that procedure is approved by nice,and your Mum would be assessed to see if she is suitable.If she is then she will have a temporary implant for about 10 days,if she gets some relief then a permanent implant will follow.It's very unlikely that she would be pain free,they usually say up to 50%.You have to go through phsyc assessment to see how you would cope if it's not successful and they also  give you hard facts about what to expect,don't think it's a miracle cure etc.

good luck

• Posted

If you have the stimulator for neurogenic bladder[ spina bifida occulta]  & utis urgency & retention & spinal spasm & pain[ only spasmodic as spinal had urethrotomy years ago] ,could this help .This is as utis do not show on hospital testing .It seems as if the  timing for assesssment may not be enough.

At moment sacral facet joint injections helping with spasmodic pain but suspect quick Fix while the tertiary sector employ admin & GPs  that don't understand their criteria ,they then use to block access eg: spondylosis / spina bifida progressive deformitycausing need for wheelchair .

• Posted

Hi ,I'm sorry I can't answer your question.I'm not sure which country you're in   

But we contacted Nevro in USA via email & they put us in touch with their rep in the UK,who in turn put us in touch with Dr Barani in Leeds,who in their opinion,is the best Consultant in the UK to do this procedure.I suggest you contact them direct in USA ,I' m sure they will be able to answer your questions.Good luck & never give up hope.

• Posted

I agree i go into Walton Liverpool 2nd week in May to have Stimulator fitted i had my trial at xmas.Just hope its ok feel nervous at mo as no one to tlk too
    • Posted

Hiya,I'm sure you are nervous,my hubby is.It's the best chance of having some pain reduction & as it's so expensive they will ensure that you get the most benefit.It may take some time to bed in but if you had a positive result on the trial I'm sure this will benefit you.You are not on your own,there are plenty of people on this amazing site willing to offer support & hugs.Fingers crossed for you and keep us posted.Good luck😀
    • Posted

Hi, I am very interested in all of these conversation and maybe I can give you one answer that you requested. I know that there are trials being done in the Redding California area. I had a trial with the Nervo HF10 a few weeks ago. I do wish that when people reference the SCS devices they would also share the brand that they are talking about. They are different from each other and making the correct decision depends on all advice and information we can possibly gather. I am scheduled to have the NevroHF 10 device this month.
    • Posted

Hope your Nevro HF10 implant goes well.  I agree, I wish people would mention, is it the Medtronic Neurostimulator, or a Nevro HF10, or a Bostonion Neurostimulator, or a Dorsal Root Ganion Stimulator (U.K.)

Also, a bit of advice to any one getting one.  I've heard a lot of people comlain about battery placement.  Ask your doctor not to place it near your spine or SI joint.  Or on your belt line. Or so far down your buttock tha t you are  sitting on it.

• Posted

Hi there I know you posted this 2 yrs back but hoping you are still on here.im also going into Walton centre under Dr goebel for scs was wondering how you got on with your implant. Mine is for complex regional pain syndrome in my ankle and for nerve damage.would you recommend the procedure. Would appreciate your feedback if you could put my mind at rest.thank you Wayne (Liverpool)
    • Posted

I'm late getting with this topic. I've only heard of Medyronicd and nevro. Heard nothing about the others mentioned. What are the differences? I know some aren't compatible with MRIs.. I have a friend with the Medtronics. She gets bursts of shocks any tingling. Her implant get hot when charging. I'm currently in trial with nevro. Not suppose to get the bursts of shocks and tingling. Her deal when charging is not normal. Told her needs to have it checked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.