Spinal cord stimulator

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my spinal cord stimulator placed March 19,2018 I feel like it’s not helping still have lower back and leg pain, now experiencing restless lower back and legs.  The middle of my back where the leads were placed feels like nuckles are pressing in my back and lower left where the battery placed feels horrible, skins very sensitive have to sit back on a pillow all the time to drive at dinner ect. I’m 46 years old have had back problems since 2009 broken tIl bone then in 2014 my sciatic nerve was pinched so they did a lower lumbar lamanectomy . I’m tied of hurting 😔

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

wow you sound like me, i had my simulator placed on april 30 of this year. However, so far my simulator seems to be working and if has helped with my pain. i am still a little sore where the battery is and sometimes it itches like crazy. i will say if i sneeze or laugh to hard i can feel the tingle a little different, which is weird. If your having these symptoms have you talked to your rep? what stim did you get, i received the one from st judes. i have the choice of feeling the tingle or not feeling it, which i love when i get break through pain i switch over to the tingle so i can adjust it higher. i know when i had my lumbar lamanectomy everything got worse for me. did you get the paddles or just stayed with the leads? Did the trial go well for you? sorry for so many questions but it might help you get some answers
    • Posted

I got the Boston Scientific stimulator with leads. Yes I can control the levels high to low or turn it of. 
  • Posted

I would contact your rep and maybe have them meet you at your surgeons office so the 3 of you can figure it out. I know my rep will meet me at my pain management's office I just have to give her a boy a weeks notice. I can say that being I just had mine done and am not having those issues I would definitely push to have everyone together for a meet to understand why your having these issues. How was your trial did you have any problems during it?

• Posted

Hello Deanna49,

I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain.  I had mine in since February 5, 2018.  I still have the same pain as before and I still take my pain pills, that did not change. Tell me have you had your scs programmed yet?  I was told before I had it, that it won't take all my pain away, but it would take at least 50% away.  Which it does.  When I wake up the first thing I do is take my pain pill, because I am in so much pain, then I turn my scs on, so it will soothe my back of the pain.  In about an hour I feel better, to the point with my pain still there, it just doesn't hurt as bad, and I am able to do things a little at a time.  I mainly stay in bed as before, but with the scs it's a little better. I have to realize that I will have to still take my pain pills, which I had hoped to use less, not happening. On top of that, with the remote, you have to adjust it where it is comfortable for you. Get it programmed by the people that gave the scs to you. and that takes time. When using the scs, I do have vibrations in my legs.  At first, it hurt so bad that I didn't turn it on, but I tried to lower it, and now the pain is bearable. It takes time for the area where the battery is to soothe, you just had yours put in, it has to heal first, and that takes time.  Now I barely feel it.  you can get it programmed to where you feel it's better, so try it asap. I felt the same way as you, but I realized I had to be patient. What is a Lumbar Laminectomy? I hope things start to feel better for you, and always tell your Dr. just how you feel if it doesn't work for you, you can have it removed.  I hear some people say their Dr. try to tell them to keep it in, but that is up to you.  Did you have it in temporary before having it perminately?.  I feel you...I am tired of hurting too....

• Posted

A lumbar Laminectomy is surgery that creates space by removing the lamina — the back part of the vertebra that covers your spinal canal. Also known as decompression surgery, laminectomy enlarges your spinal canal to relieve pressure on the spinal cord or nerves. I will tell you it was very painful and my recovery was horrible, it was almost 6 days before i could get up off the couch by myself. I would never have one again

• Posted

OH WOW! SORRY, YOU HAD TO ENDURE SO MUCH PAIN.  THANKS FOR TELLING ME. I HOPE YOU ARE DOING BETTER.
  • Posted

Hmm, I am wondering if you are having the same problem I had with my battery, it fell down onto my sciatic nerve. I had all the same symptoms you are describing, leg pain, having to sit back on a pillow all the time and the battery site feeling awful. You might want to ask your doctor if this is a possibility. I had to have my battery moved out more laterally on my buttocks and then things starting working for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.