Spinal Cord Stimulator causing extreme mid back pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all,

I had the Nevro HF10/HFX device implanted a year ago for chronic low back pain and have had terrible pain around the leads since implantation. im wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to this and what you did about it.

the pain is right around the leads, like a terrible pressure. its at its worst when i lay down, but can flare for no reason at all. i often feel like my lungs are being squeezed and its hard to breathe. the device is actually working well for my low back pain or we would have removed already. I've had 4 medial branch blocks with some relief, an epidural that did not work, PRP, trigger point injections, massage therapy, accupuncture that all did not work (massage caused flare ups). Sometimes the pain radiates to my abdomen.

I felt like the stimulator was my last hope so I dont want to give up on it, but the pain is unbearable.

Nevro has proven to be unhelpful. They take days to call me back and keep switching my reps.

thanks,

meghan

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Meghan I had my Nevro HF10/HFX implanted in early November and its working great for my lower back and legs. Unfortunately I also have pain where the leads were fastened in the upper back. I mentioned it to the doctor at my 2nd post op visit and she said its probably the anchors and wanted to take an x-ray (this was the end of December). I choose to wait and see if it goes away and if not we will x-ray it my next visit on 3/31. The pain was unbearable and constant at first but now I find its not as frequent but still a big problem for me. I don't know for sure but I think if you have the implant removed they leave the anchors in.

I also have had a few reps and find that they don't really have the answers themselves. There are some that are helpful but its hit and miss when you call. You should definitely talk to your doctor about it. 🙏🏼

• Posted

Hi,

It's good to know other people have similar issues. i hope your pain improves! What kind of leads do you have? I have percutaneous leads (not paddle leads) so i believe removal is much simpler. I've also had a few xrays and an MRI and it doesnt look like the leads have moved.

One doctor Ive seen wants to put in a peripheral nerve stimulator (in addition to the scs)...

• Posted

I have paddle leads which was something I didn't expect or at least didn't understand that is was different from the percutaneous leads until after the surgery. At the time I was in so much pain I just wanted relief.

As for your issue with being hard to breathe and the pressure on your lungs, that sounds very serious and definitely needs to be addressed. I hope there is an easy remedy for that.... not another surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.