Spinal Cord Stimulator Problems

Posted , 47 users are following.

I have had my spinal cord stimulator since May and I am having a lot of nausea. I have to keep soda crackers with me all the time. The SCS was put in after I had ongoing pain after my spinal fusion. I had an injury from an auto accident. I have had issues with the settings put on the control box by the rep as well. I had to push for setting changes to alleviate sharp shock like symptoms as it was stimulating. There is poor follow up by the reps after the SCS are put in. It seems their goal is to sell the stimulators but the patient is forgotten when it comes to legitimate reportable symptoms and follow up care.

4 likes, 221 replies

221 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I agree about follow up care. I've had myStimulator in for about 2 months and the Nevro Rep just keeps adjusting it.  I feel like an experiment. 

• Posted

Have you had any relief yet and how bad was the surgery?
    • Posted

The Nevro Rep down played the surgery. He was wrong. It was surgery  to implant the Stimulator. They do a test where they just tape the wires to see if  the Stimulator will be effective for you. The test decreased my pain by 50-70%. When they placed the permanent one in place it didn't do the same. Hence, the adjusting. I'm still hopeful. 

• Posted

My post op time from surgery was painful. The staff at the hospital lacked an understanding of what my surgery was and were very rude whenever I said I had pain.  They totally lacked knowledge of spinal stimulators. I could not turn to the staff for help. It has been almost 5 months since surgery and I do get good pain relief from the stimulator. I just had an adjustment done to the settings so it is better now. I think the reps need to be more attentive to the new patients who are just starting out and help guide them through.
    • Posted

It has taken 5 months to get a good adjustment on my stimulator. I felt played down as well while the rep was commenting on my questions. He did not want to admit I needed an adjustment. But after the adjustment the pain was decreased. They act like patients dont know anything ao they try ro tell you an answer that is not right. I let him know right then and there what I was feeling and that it was not a "mind issue" like he was trying to insinuate. My stimulator had not been set right and he was trying to avoid responsibility.

• Posted

Marie, we are just an experiment. Wish we had been told this beforehand!
    • Posted

Have you ever had an issue with overheating where the battery pack is implanted? Also I just had a kidney stone which I have never had before, I wonder if this device can cause kidney stones.
  • Posted

I am on my second stimulator. No contact from rep at all

First one they took out after three weeks. Had to wait about five weeks to heal. They just did another implant. Same thing is happening when they removed the first one. A lot of pain, can't even turn on know until I heal because they are concerned if will cause infection because battery heats up when on only he 1 degree enough to bread bacteria. So they put the second one last week they admittted me to hospital for 5 days to The debreed the surgical area around the battery. In a lot of pain still draining, unit still not on. Trying to get the truth.

• Posted

Good God Tom you are living a nightmare.  I am having my stimulator put in 3/2.  I hope you get some answers and pain relief.  I met with my surgeon and her surgical team.  They told me what to expect and that there would be pain.  I absolutely expect pain.  I hope you get some relief soon.
    • Posted

I can'think handle the thought of going through an implant again to but I am sure the battery is making me feel overheated.

• Posted

They probably have your stimulator set for tonic which is a constant flow of a tingling sensation and pulsating throughout your leg and back.  There is also a Burst setting which incorporates the two where youfeel no sensation.  I do not know what stimulator you have.  Let me know.  I did the NERVO TRIAL with no relief.  I just completed BURST by St. Judes Hospital.  It is a full 7 day trial.  I was reprogrammed after 5 days and on day 6 I got my first relief.  We recorded the settings and it is in my nice little apple I phone for when I get it put in permanently..   shouled be hearing from the Surgeon for my first consult and then a surgical date.  I must admit I am more nervous as the modulator will be implanted under the skin.  They just need to know which side you want it on. Being a right side sleeper I opted for the left side just near the top the the butt.  The reps for both the trials I was in have been remarkable and have gone above and beyone even coming to my home for over an hour and reprogramming it.  Don't give  up.  Be firm with your pain management Dr.  I didn't have to be she was and is always one step ahead of me.  Keep me posted.

• Posted

Do you have muscle spasms around ribs to stomach? Sounds like what I had and still do 10 months after I had scs removed. I also have leg weakness and shoulder muscle pulling down into chest. The nausea subsided but was so bad I got gas up into throat really terrible bad! Please anyone find out what is happening let me know. Hope ypu find relief!
    • Posted

I had battery implanted on my left side. It is very uncomfortable sleeping on that side now. I have most of the side effects you have. So discouraging!, Guess we have no choice but to try to make the scs work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.