Spinal cord stimulator return to work

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, I would like to find out about realistic expectations for returning to work after a spinal cord implant. I had fusion surgery 4 years ago at L4-5 for disc rupture stenosis two other disc involved but not repaired. Extreme back, buttock, leg pain and I can't return to teaching elementary school. The trial is scheduled for 3-8-18. Please tell me what to expect. It is the Medtronic.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ms. Gwen,

Did you have the trial? I wish I had seen your post pre-today! How was your pain during trial?

Everyone is different and all recoveries are timed differenty, however, I was unable to return to work for 6-8 weeks. For the first 2 weeks, I did NOTHING. I didn't want to move/adjust the battery nor the leads... I have 28 leads as I have the St. Jude DR Burst stim. I believe the worst part of recovery was the upper incision - laminectomy, paddle in dorsal column, and inserting 28 wires. Those muscles growing back together and creating new scar tissue prob was the worst immediate post surgical pain.

• Posted

Hi I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. What were your issues prior to surgery? Is that the normal amount of leads for the burst?Sorry for all the questions, but what kind of work do you do?

I started the trial Thursday 3/8 some pain at the insertion site but overall I am extremely pleased. My Dr inserted the leads at T12 and went to T8 and I'm getting parenthesis free pain relief. Working amazingly on the pain I've gone from no pain relief to being able to move around the house and it's improved my sleep from one hour to six hours at a time. I don't know if it's going to be enough to get me back to work ,but I feel like my quality and outlook on life have improved 10 fold.

• Posted

Ms. Gwen,

I cheered most my of my life ... Summer 2015 I was working PT at Victoria's Secret just folding panties when my L3-4 ruptured. Maybe age, cheer, degeneration, physics or just bad luck made them blow. It took a bit to find a doc to believe me fully with MRI/scans as opiate seeking is huge.. I was taken to local hospital when they gave me a few pain meds, few muscle relaxers and referred me to physical therapy. I went to PT every morning unbeknownst that the fragments were migrating to the back of the spinal cord. ..another was exterior vertical lateral - basically lodged far out in my sciatic nerve.

I finally found a neurosurgeon who saw my legs buckling and weakness.. then it all got real, really fast. I was in surgery the next morning having a discectomy. Within the next 9 months, I continued complaining about leg pain. I also continued taking pain meds. With odds not in my favor once again, I called my neurosurgeon "on call" and told I couldn't live another day with this leg pain - to please cut them off.. He asked me to meet him at the hospital where he did another discectomy, spinal fusion and removed fragments that he had previously left back there. The fragments were encapsulated in little cysts as my body was trying to expell them. 

Then in Feb 2017, he inserted the trial stimulator. And officially implanted my stim in June 2017. I haven't had insurance to correct my newly ruptured L5-S1. Voc Rehab paid for the stimulator implant especially being the new technology and on the youngest patient down here. Why he didn't "fix" my lasts 2 discs?? Money I am sure.

Yes, St Jude has a lot of leads.. most others do not but can be added for more relief. Right now I take a ton of meds, use the stimulator and only work PT in marketing/leasing highend apartment living. I won't be able to fake it much longer.. the pain is beginning to take little my spirit has left.

Lauryn

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It sounds like your journey consists of a long road. I've been dealing with all of mine since 2000. I sure hope you find relief.

• Posted

So, what happened with your trial, Gwen?  I have two SCS, a St. Jude with burst and a Nevro. I was never offered the Medtronic, I don't know why.  For my lower back I had two trials, I started with the nerve, which worked right away for my low back pain but did nada for my leg cramps.  The rep tried different programs and rates, but it just wasn't to be.  I did a second trial then with the St. Jude and it worked from day 1 for every problem.  It was a perfect trial.  LOL the only problem with trials is that they end!

So, do tell us your trial story, hopefully yours went as well as my St. Jude did.

• Posted

Great trial the first couple of days I was sore, however by day the pain was a 1 out of 10 with light household activity increasing pain to a four after a hour. My sleep went from waking with position changes to sleeping soundly for six hours. I still had a tiredness in my legs however the back an leg pain relief was amazing. I'm scheduled for the permanent implant of the Medtronic scs April 3rd. I'm nervous and excited.

I hope you can find info on the latest Medtronic and find out if it could help you.

• Posted

Apparently Medtronic's claim to fame is that it remembers your best pain relief settings for all body positions so that if you change your position the medtronic will adjust the stimulation to your spine so that it is the best for that position.  I am guessing you must have to spend some time with the rep setting this all up after you get your permanent SCS put in.  It sounds really cool and it makes sense.  We pain patients all know that our pain is worse in some positions and better in others.  Why waster energy zapping your spine with the same amount of energy at all times if it only takes a small amount to cut your pain when you are laying down, but takes a whole lot when you are standing?  You will have to let us know how it goes!

• Posted

Gwen,

Hi, I’m windering the same thing. I had my implant 2/28/18 and they wanted me to return to work 2 weeks post op. I’m a nurse, so lots of bending, twisting, lifting..... I’ve pushed out until now, I’m suppose to return to work Tuesday ... I’m having some issues.. slight infection g, given anitbiotics, and now as of last night, leaking from the battery incision... st Jude’s website say 6-8 weeks of rest and no activity... I’m being pushed back and I’ve complsined but no one cares... what kind of job do you hacevsbd ehen are you suppose to go to work?.... thanks for any help 

Rachelle from Cali 

• Posted

I'm a Special Ed Teacher injured 4 years ago . I tried to return however there was to much pain. So I haven't returned nor do I have a return date as of yet. The trial went really great and helped me move around home for an hour or so without too much pain increase. I'm scheduled for my permanent Medtronic scs April 3 2018 and praying for success. I'm blessed with a great Dr. and company rep. So I'm hoping for a great success.

I would insist on the restrictions being maintained or you risk your healing process. The leads need time to develop the scar tissue. I wish you luck and hope your incision heals quickly. This is such serious surgery you must have time to heal properly or you risk more complications. Good luck.

Gwen

• Posted

Hi

Just wondering how everyone is doing post implant especially with return to work and the  normal world.  I had my implant on the 25th July, and am due to return to work tomorrow.  I have the St Jude burst stimulator for CRPS in my right leg.  I have had some reduction in my pain levels - which is good - and the spasms in my foot and ankle have stopped - which is terrific.  I have been really good with following the restrictions at home, but am obviously nervous about returning to work.  I am a business manager at a school so office based but a lot of moving up and down from desk etc....and pretty much on the go the whole work day.  I have requested a phased return - and have got a doctors note to cover this for the next three weeks.  So this is my back up plan if I find work too difficult as I still have to follow the restrictions for a bit longer.  I do not want to mess up my recovery as so far I have had no complications, and am in no hurry to have any more procedures done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.