SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR SIDE EFFECTS

Posted , 114 users are following.

have had s c s. almost 1yr. have had 2 major infections 11 days hospitalisation & had to go into theatre to have wound opened and flushed out with antibiotics. also had to have first implant battery replaced as it was in wrong angle and wouldn't charge!! have had spinal fusion and failed back syndrome. SCS was only thing hadn't tried. got relief on back pain from beginning but find it really hard to walk now.....my legs seize up and i have to stop every few steps....always in pain when i try to walk. Have also felt pain and limitation in my arms especially when i try to lift arms up ie drying my hair etc. Have trawled internet to find anyone with similar experience no success....my surgeon & reps say my NEW symptoms have nothing to do with the stimulator i don't agree.....can anyone relate to what i'm going through....or am i just the only one...please help my partner who is lovely feels im not giving scs a proper go....he doesn't know how much pain my legs are in. Pat

10 likes, 311 replies

311 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Pat,

Sorry to hear of problems with you scs. I'm only 3 months now with the permit one and have been lucky, no infections. It also was my last resort for pain management. It has helped reduce pain, but it didn't cover all the effected area. Captured I've learned has more broad of a spectrum. My problem is the battery was placed just mm from the trigger point! It has helped, but I didn't get my life back so to speak. My wife is supportive, but hopefully will never have to endure Chronic pain. Wish you the best.

Informally the root of your pain sounds like it's getting worse, and we can only turn up the power so far as we can Handel the impulses. I wish they could sever the nerve.

Ray

• Posted

Hi patricia

You dont say what make your stimulator is or where it was fitted but i can only tell you this:- mine is a nevro scs unit fitted at in my buttock at st thomas hospital london ,i had no complications afterwards but did follow all the rules set about over stretching in the begining to avoid the wires moving,and returned to work on a phased amount time , finally achiveing full time employment after 6mths, i hav had mine 5yrs now with no problems other than when i over do things , i still do 30mins of streching 1st thing every day as advised to continue flexibilty in my body, as for leg pain i still have some but it seems to get worse in the cold , i was told the scs unit can give small amount of relive but is mainly for back pain i have back surgey and also a prolased disc which was previously operated on , i would say this to you remember all the streching and exercises you did as an inpatient , put this into pratice never going to far as to hurt and pace yourself as per set back plan you did these things to assist when things were bad, give the unit chance i hav not looked back

all best colin

• Posted

Hello Colin

I am due to have my nevro scs implant on Thursday 1St Sept for chronic migraine.

At St Thomas hospital by Dr.al kaisy.

It's good to hear all is good for you.

I'm really worried about the pain from the battery site..as everyone seems to say it's real bad! Also worried I may move wrong and the leads will shift.

Did you have sedation?

Sorry so many questions.. Really nervous..

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Krissy, I am at the very beginning of getting the Nuervo Implant.. I don't know like you are very scared..

I have had 2 neck fusion surgeries about 15 years ago.. I don't know have plates and screws of Titanium from C4-6...

I was getting headaches, numbness and tingling in the my right forearm that was very painful at the time.. It was horrible..

Now I'm getting headaches again.. Much worse than I've ever been had in my life.. I take very heavy duty pain pills that don't work in fact they barely touch it.. The headaches go from the very top of the neck and will spread to my left temple to my left eye.. This has been going on for about 3 years and only getting worse.. I had been to an Orthopedic Dr after having an MRI, CT scan and x-rays.

After him reviewing the results I was told that I'm not a candidate for surgery. I have several herniated disks and something to do with the sacs between the disks..

At that time I was told about the Nuervo unit.. I can't find much on cervical spine only Lumbar..

I'm scared to have this done since it's new on the market here in the United States...

What was your procedure like?? Is it painful?? Do you think it was worth it??

Would you recommend it to anyone?? How are you recuperating??

Sorry for all the questions but just feel free to that it's my only hope of even having a somewhat normal life..

My quality of life right now is awful..

Thank you so much for your help..

• Posted

Hi patricia

You dont say what make your stimulator is or where it was fitted but i can only tell you this:- mine is a nevro scs unit fitted at in my buttock at st thomas hospital london ,i had no complications afterwards but did follow all the rules set about over stretching in the begining to avoid the wires moving,and returned to work on a phased amount time , finally achiveing full time employment after 6mths, i hav had mine 5yrs now with no problems other than when i over do things , i still do 30mins of streching 1st thing every day as advised to continue flexibilty in my body, as for leg pain i still have some but it seems to get worse in the cold , i was told the scs unit can give small amount of relive but is mainly for back pain i havefailed back surgey and also a prolased disc which was previously operated on , i would say this to you remember all the streching and exercises you did as an inpatient , put this into pratice never going to far as to hurt and pace yourself as per set back plan you did these things to assist when things were bad, give the unit chance i hav not looked back

all best colin

• Posted

Pat,

I feel ya, I feel like the SCS is not working for me, I'm having more pain and using more meds than ever, and I hear the same thing I'm not giving it a chance. Can't walk long at all without pain, the only thing I can say is thank god no infection that I know of, but ppl don't understand when you are in pain and its everyday they think that it's all in your head, I call bs.let them walk in our shoes and see how long they last.

Best wishes and hope u get some relief.

Cindy

• Posted

Cynthia I too have a stim.  Mine is St. Judes paddle put in on 3/2.  As of today I have just as much pain as before the surgery.  Before the implant, I had a lot of pain but could function, I.e. Shop, take my grandkids to Karate, play with my daughters day care toddlers, maintain my home.  I am anal about it.  Right now I can do nothing.  It's painful just to walk.  I see the rep on Monday for more reprogramming.  I at my wits end.  No one has any answers.  While in the trial in 6 days, relief was there about 50%,  I couldn't wait for the surgery.  

Problem...trial used two leads, surgery a paddle.  The parameters from the trial cannot be used in the paddle.  So it is constant reprogramming with no end sight.  

I wish you good luck and get better with more pain reduction.  Keep us posted.

Dee

• Posted

I had stimulator done 12/30//17. I have pain at and below battery site. Pain in low back same as before implant. Battery constantly needs charged as I can only use high rate almost 100%. I fell which has caused more pain in low back as well as new pain upper and middle of back. Also having problems with arms and hands I may have damaged upper disk. I have had reprogrammed 5 times to no relief. Can't walk far or stand long or sit long periods. Hope you find answers. It took me falling and goi g to er for X-ray to get pain doc to see me otherwise they referred me to surgeon who referred me to pain doctor then they said call rep for adjustment. I think I should have waited or tried something else.

• Posted

Do you have the 5yr battery scs from St. Jude's? The one that is supposed to be MRI compatible? I live in Ohio and had mine implanted 12/7/2016. I've had nothing but problems since the surgery. I would love to find out how many people are having these problems. I'm on a couple of other forums and almost everyone has the same complaints.

• Posted

Hi Sheila, yes I have the MRI compatible battery. I am still having problems, can't stand it sit for very long, pain in my mid back at C8 where they put the paddle is excruciating.. my leg pain has been helped so much with the scs, its just all the other ongoing issues I cannot cope with..

I hope you are ok? What are your issues since the implant was done?

Kayleen

• Posted

I have severe pain between my shoulder blades. My fingers often get tingly

They never have been able to get the settings to where the pain is the most. My generator has moved from where the Put it and has migrated up my back. It's hitting nerves and bone making it almost impossible to walk. I'm using my Walker again. 😩My left hand is going numb. My battery was supposed to last 5yrs and at 21 weeks I started getting messages on my iPod to contact my surgeon to replace soon. Which is a far cry from 5yrs.

I needed an MRI almost 3 months ago and after sitting at the hospital for over 3 hours they came out and told me that they couldn't get the parameters low enough for me to have an MRI there. I'm still waiting for the rep from St. Jude's to find an MRI in my area that I can use.

• Posted

I agree problems since implanted and see on here others also suffering same or similar problems. It did help slightly with sciatica right leg pain but not the help i thought I was going to receive.
    • Posted

HEllo. Did you ever find out what was the cause. I had the trial was great. Implant well had a terrable csf leak for 6 days before they fixed it. Terrable!!!! Then ok for 5 days. Then all he'll began. Neck pain headache24/7. Not the same as cat leak. Perc/ morphine/ baclophen nothing helped in the least. Then all aches in joints all over. I wasn't even using the scs cause it caused muscle spasms as well as the battery pack area felt like a hot coal under my skin. I haven't used it since. Blood all comes back perfect. Xray all good. I'm at a loss for words and getting so frustrated with drs. Tired of ers and even tested for Lyme. Negative. Anyone have reaction to your body just not wanting this damn thing in it and still have good test results. Any replies would be a god sent. It's been 16 days of none stop neck pain headache and now complete body aches.

I'm 41 had implant on 7/19/17.

• Posted

You are suffering from a spinal leakage , I had the same thing and you need to be treated with steroids to stop the leakage , pain killers are not gonna resolve the issue , drink lots of soda and coffee for the headaches , it will subside in two weeks , if not then that indicates that you are still leaking spinal fluid from the sac, the doctor should kno this ! They will probly take blood from you and create a blood clock in the area to stop the leakage , I would follow up asap because that can lead into your blood stream and caise menegitis ,  it trying to scare you but that's the outcome , hopefully that was helpful cause most doctors are not honest and afraid of a lawsuit 

• Posted

If you feel like you can't even lift your head and the headache is like X20 that's exactly why you have the headaches and body aches , the stimulator will cause you more pain at this point so don't use it untill you recover fully it will just cause you more pain and frustration , it will subside it took me about a month 

• Posted

Thank you again. I finally spoke with my neurosurgeon and he believes my body is seriously rejecting this thing. So he Iis agreeing to remove it. The kicker is he is going away and can't do it for another 6 weeks. So I basically have to deal with this horrendous pain till heh comes back. Absolutely terrible. Just happy it will come out.

• Posted

Glad I could be of some help , no one knows how these stim machine work , only is the people who are living it, and again overe had mine for 9 years now and my upper exremides did not work with the machine and it's not that your body is rejecting it , these doctors don't speak the truth or facts! Your Nuero stimulators leads are touching the wrong nerve that's why your body is aching , has nothing to do with your body it has to do with the installation and really speak to your doctor about removal these things are really not to be removed once installed doctors don't tell you that as well, because any wrong puncture he can really damage you , the spine is very sensitive , I have one year to replace my battery after 10 years and my unit was built 10 years ago and I cannot do any MRI , which is bad for me no future testing . So I ask my doc to install the newer version and he doesn't want to do it and I ask why? He says there is more harm taking the leads out that have muscle scar tissues etc, and the new one is not gonna go in the same place as the old leads and it might not work the same? Total BS he just knows he is gonna mess me up in the long run and no one else will touch me so I will die with these leads in me and hope for the best . Good luck with your situation and I hope it turns out well

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I since have started walking like im drunk, and major forgetfulness, its terrible. still unstoppable headaches and every joint hurts in my body. He says he will take it out after he gets back from vacation (2 weeks only) He is gonna make me wait 6 weeks. God only knows what I'll be like then.

• Posted

Yea I kno the feeling , not something you ever want to experience it will get better it's part of having your spinal sac

Punctured. Lots of coffee and soda

• Posted

I have had the SCS for a few months. I have NEVER sweat in my life. As I sit here at 7:38 am I am sweating profusely. Migraines are worse.  Can't feel my left leg so I fall all the time.i pulled my right lead within a month down a section. He said one more movement he will need to redo the leads. Mine says MRI comparable However when you that to turn of it says do not do MRI With this machine. I'm at a lose!!!

• Posted

Sheila hi.

I just got my scs 9/8/2017. I can barely turn it on and it hurts my ribs and stomach. Have you heard of this? I thought I thoroughly investigated this thing. Boy was I wrong. Dang it. Can you tell me anymore forums to go to?

Please help.

Thank you

Kandi

• Posted

That means that the leads that are going up to you upper extremities does not work and the pulse is hitting your chest cavity, have the Programer shut that zone off and it will work better however if you got this installed for upper back pain then it will never work for you ! Hope that helped
    • Posted

Kandi,

I had the same problem when I had my first one put in and the problem was the placement of the part that was in my back. I had to go back into surgery and have the placement adjusted and it has been awesome since I had that done.  I first had the one made by Boston Scientific and when the moved the panel the Dr put in one made by Medtronic.  The difference is in the two are crazy!  I love one made by Medtronic! It has been so much better for me and my pain has been reduced a ton. Have you tried having a rep try and make adjustments for you?

Good luck!

• Posted

What other forums....?? I’m needing some more research done.. I’ve had my implant placed and things are starting to go wrong after 4 weeks post op
    • Posted

I had this after trial day 1.5, and was able to meet rep (b/c wknd) and had about 11 hours to try new programming before the temp needed to be removed. Hopefully your rep can make adjustments programmatically that can leasen the rib/stomach areas. Best wishes!
    • Posted

Hi Cynthia  

just sitting here reading what you wrote three years ago about the stimulator. So how are you doing with it three years later. Because I’ve had mice in five months no relief .  And after getting the stimulator put in then my leg started hurting. It’s like I’m losing my mobility in my legs. And the doctors is trying to tell me that this stimulator has nothing to do with it. Not true it does.  They telling me that is a new problem. 

• Posted

Hi elaine48100,

?I know you asked Cynthia 70714, but I am having the same problem.  I received my scs in February, and as of now I have been having problems with my legs and feet, it's hard to walk, the pain in my leg and feet hurt also.  I am going Friday to my Dr. and need to know why? Lately, I barely use my scs because it's so painful.  However, I turned the monitor down low and it's not that painful, but it's still bothers me. To the point I am thinking about getting it out.  But, I have one issue.  When I had the temp scs in, I did feel some relief with my upper back and shoulder, but when they took it out my pain was awful! I hurried up and had the permenant one put in. It just don't work for me. My pain is bad, I still take pain pills 4 times a day, and lately I just don't use the scs anymore. And it is the scs that is doing the extra pain, so don't believe him when he say it is not.  You have to be firm and tell them what you want. I do have artho, but this is different, and it did not start until I had the scs. I will let you know what my Dr. tell me, but I think this is some BS. I even have nerve issues in my hand WTH?!

• Posted

These stimulators are causing more problems and more side effects after they are implanted. I should know my husband has all of them after 2 failures and removals and we are fighting Boston Scientific about it. Metallic taste in his mouth like eating nickels, pain where the battery was, burning in the spine, nerve damage in his legs, constant infections, and pain in the pockets where the batteries were. Increased pain beyond belief
    • Posted

I just had my Medtronic SCS implant 5 days ago.  I have low back pain and right leg pain.  My pain at the incision site is unbearable!  And it migrated around my left side to my stomach.  I also have lost control of my bladder .  They did hit a small amount of spinal fluid but patched it with a blood patch.  He has no idea why I am having these complications.  Wants me to have a MRI to see if the leads are in the right place.  My unit is MRI compatible.  Going to have it done tomorrow.  Already I want this thing out...the pain is 11 out of 10.  You have no idea what it is like to stand up and just pee everywhere....and then my poor husband has to clean it up.  I don’t think these Doctors really know what they are doing.   Plus why is it the trial always seems to work better than the final implant?  Good luck to all of you...
    • Posted

Yep you said it right ! You the only one that knows you your symptoms not them! 
    • Posted

OMG! Really? I am so so sorry to hear that.  I don't know what to do.  Right now I haven't been using it much, because of the pain when it's on. My left leg and feet hurt and it feel like it's programmed my whole body...Not just my back area. I walk crazy when it's on. I'm so confused. What's up with the Class Action?

• Posted

I was thinking the same thing! Why did the Temp worked and then have all these issues with the Perm. I hope they fix what you need soon. What kind of pain pills you take? They are not working? And have you had it programmed since having it?
    • Posted

Hey you might not can have a MRI but you can get a CT.  Have you tried it out?

• Posted

I have had a severe metallic taste in my mouth for aprx. 18 months. Taste is so bad that I can’t eat or drink anything without the taste and severe nausea. GI tests are all negative. Called Boston Scientific re this and rep claims they never heard of this complaint before! Have stimulator for 3 years. Anyone else with this problem?
    • Posted

I have had all of the above just from trial..2yrs ago. Still having problems. The only thing the rep and doctors say is "I never heard of that". I have had heart doc, gastro, neuro. AND still no answers. The post about doctors sticking together is so true! We were dupped and have more problems. Wish someone could make these people accountable for the lives they have ruined. I no longer can stand to walk because of leg weakness and still have breathing problem and diarrhea...wish I could have found this sight prior to hearing all the good hype about theze things.

• Posted

Hey socks mom, I am a doc and I am interested in hearing your story if you don't mind telling it- but not on this big thread, I can't find things. Could you start a new discussion, maybe one about side effects from SCS?  You say you got yours just from the trial?  What brand were you going with for the trial? Did you have to end the trial early because of your side effects?  Did you have any pre-trial problems that would lead anyone to think this could happen to you, ie should you never have been given a trial?  I hope you don't mind my questions, I am just really curious, I'd of course like to help if I can, explain to you things that I think they are hiding.

Lynn

• Posted

Sorry for my tone in my post nut I am so upset how my life has been altered

I originally was taking 60mg. morphine. twice aday plus break thro meds for CRPS of righ hand arm and wanted to get off that stuff ..I read that the stimuulator should be first choice to pain management so thought I would try after my neuro sent me to pain magenent ( he was leaving town later I found out)

I had required neck mri and psych. eval. before procedure and met with nurse in the doctors off ice but not him. Later found out she was fron Medtronic . I was given a dvd to watch prio and I waited on a chair in hall for 40 minutes and she spent all of 4 mi utes with me. I didnt know what to ask so zi asked her what is the worst that could happen and she replied it doesnt work.. I thouvht well ok and she had me sign a paper

The procedure was horribly painful. I was squeal ling and he sbot me with more numbing agent but still felt like he was voing thru muscle! Very painful and I told him It was pinching in my shoulder blade. They then got the stimulator in the seeet spot and it was wonderful so I was happy. Afterwards they sit me up and I was nauseated and had bad pinching in my shoulderblade. I showed doctor where ..maybe muscle spasm.. I was to get it taken out in 3 days. In that time my back got blood red and badlly whelped up. Went in to have it pulled out and told doc then nurse that I was having like a knot in my chest and walking like a drunk..it progresses to acid up into my throat, then terrible terrible muscle spasms all over my back and trouble breathing. I kept calling the doctor office but the girl said it was nothing related go to P C. I called four times that week and same answer . last time I called and said at least you get give me muscle relaxer but never heard back . So went to Primary care doc and on my way out they called back with a muscle relaxer after 10 days of sheer hell. I was able to get up out of bed and walk but noticed my legs weak and have trouble breathing so bad that I went to er and they called this pain management group for them to get mri of neck and thorac area and they did see me. Mri showed pracentral protrusion at c3-4.

I feel my whole neck has shifted wven have different look to front.

Ihave lost my typing here 3 times so I going to stop and say I have had mri's of neck thoracic, head, cbest, all test for heart, neuro. Test and bloodwork, gastro complete workup ( scoped up and down). No answers...seen chiro till broke had massages also. I am on medicare and not the nest insurance now. I learned only one thing...the reports from pain management never documented any problem during or after procedure and that is a lie. Chiro said I had dilocated rib but my PC doc just laughed when I dont him....Im done.

• Posted

Sockmom Get it out and leave it out, that's wh at I did.

• Posted

Maybe all our complaints should be sent to reps and doctors who say they never heard of these things happening?? How can so many people have the same problem after the implant?? BS for sure!!
    • Posted

My point exactly. Maybe we should go on the Dr. Phil show.  I feel like the blame should go on the manufacturers. 
    • Posted

I have had my stimulator 5 month. The reason for me getting it was because my lower back was hurting. And after getting it in my left leg and feet started hurting. And the doctor said it has nothing to do with the stimulator. I don’t believe that. Because I was not having Pain in my leg. He said it’s a new problem.  I feel like the pain in my leg came along with the stimulator.   When I told my doctor about the pain and weakness in my left leg. He said it is a pitch  nerve.  And he can do surgery going in cutting the  nerve.  What is your doctor talking about doing about your leg.  It’s like I’m between a rock and a hard place I don’t know who to trust or what to do.  I have to go to the doctor in the morning so I’ll let you know I’ll get back to you. 
    • Posted

So what did the doctor say Friday. When I went to the doctor and was complaining about my leg and feet. He told me it was a  Pitch nerve. My pain is bad too. Add takes about five Oxycodeine day  10 mg .  I turned my stimulator off.  But it don’t help.  What kind of pain medicine do you take and do it helps.?  I am going back to the doctor in the morning so I’ll let you know what he said I’ll get back to you.  I feel like they should get the kinks out of  The stimulator’s instead of keeping on ruining peoples lives.   Let’s go on  Doc Phil  where is he located.  I am getting tired of all of this pain fuss ration 
    • Posted

Maybe we just need to go on the Dr. Phil show.  Tell him Our problem. Because we are not getting no where.  And our situation is getting worse . We have to make things happen. 
    • Posted

Hey elaine,

He didn't say anything new, because what I have been doing is not using it, until my back and upper back really hurt, and when I do I have to turn down the monitor and leave it alone until my pain stop. Now what I do is take my pain pill first thing in the morning.  I am taking Oxycodone 20mg 4 times a day, and sometimes if I move too much after trying to wash dishes mopping the floor, I have really bad pain in my back because of bending.  On those days I might take 5 sometimes a day. Most days my pills help, like now I took a pill 2 1/2 hours ago, I am in pain, so I turned the monitor on, and put my heating pad on, I get some relief. It's day after day I am dealing with this, and yes I get so tired. But I have arthritis too, so I am really messed up, because they can't do anything about that. How did it go with your Dr.? Oh about Dr. Phil, you can google it at CBS channel 2. There is a lady on here name Brenda that is talking about a Class Action suit. Talk to you later, and I hope your pain is not to bad today.

• Posted

Hi foxy 32222

I turned mine off 3 weeks ago and my pain has decreased a lot. I met with my rep today to put it in stock mode, but she asked if I’d be willing to give it another try. I agreed and she cleared out the old programs and put new ones in. By the time I got home, I was in tears. The pain in my back and  lower torso was unbearable. I lowered the setting, but no relief. I finally turned it off and the pain stopped.  I can’t figure out if my stimulator is defective, or it’s moved. In the beginning, it helped somewhat, but as time went on, it caused terrible pain. I only had it implanted in Jan. There’s obviously something wrong with my stimulator.  And yours. 

• Posted

Hi Suzzie

Sorry for replying late.  I am also sorry that you are in so much pain.  From reading what you said, you were better off leaving the stimulator off and leaving it alone. I never heard of putting it on stock mode.  It seems to me that you need to re-programmed again, like the first time, even if they have to do it several times, to get it back to where it was and after turn it off to see if you can get relief again....I would say take it out, but I hardly turn mine own until my pain is really bad, then turn it off. I heard it hurt worse if you have it taking out, but I'm not sure, because that is what I thought to do, but I have mine turned off, and only take my pain pills 20mg 4 times a day and until the meds wear off I am okay.  My problem now is when I do walking like to the grocery store gives me a lot of pain, walking one end to the other.  Since I have had the scs I no longer use my cane, but after all that walking I think I rather use the scooter again.  All I can say is I am so tired of hurting and don't know what else to do, because lately, I been taking 5 pills because for some reason my tail is up after 12 midnight....I am just tired of this pain...So right now it's me and the pain pills and sometimes I turn the stimulator on when I do any kind of housework. I do a little at a time, then I have to lay down to get relief from my back and left leg. I never thought it was anything wrong with the leads inside my back nor the battery....I guess we have to try different things before having another surgery tho... How are you today?

• Posted

Hello. I just commented to my husband today how much better I feel with the stimulator off. I have a great therapist who is walking me through pain management. And my pain Dr does conventional practice, but hands on healing as well. My visit before last, he put his hands on my back and legs. I'm not sure if it's a combination of the therapist and his healing, but my pain has been so much less. I finally realized the other day that nothing else had changed, but for that and turning the stimulator off.  The rep wants me to try some other programs, but I'm quite content with the  results I have now without it. I did have sharp pain in my upper back today by the paddle site. I really think something has gone wrong or the pain I feel when it's on wouldn't be so terrible. I hope your pain gets better.  

• Posted

You might request them to do a X-ray to make sure it’s still in place !! I had it happen to me and they did a X-ray and it shower it had moved !! 
    • Posted

Hi, how do I find Brenda? Seriously, something needs to be done to save others from this experience. I think 20/20 or Dateline .

• Posted

And what did they do after they realized it had moved? Can it be repaired? Or is that not an option.?

I did try another program my rep had put on my remote today. It caused discomfort and more pain in my legs. The right side of my back is now sore. I turned it back off. I really think I'll get an x-ray. There is something wrong. 

• Posted

Sorry to all who have replied back to me for being so late in returning. I am coming to conclusion that those higher powers have got it all sew up. Between the doctors and manufactures we are not going to get anywhere but lie lies lies, and our agency, FDA, to protect people from this kind of thing is asleep or worse than that paid off. There is no way we are all crazy and all of a sudden have a new problem within days of this implant. I'm just so glad I got problems at trial and do not have those wires still in me! Prayers for all you dear souls..I know you are telling true stories. I believe everyword. Just wish someone with clout and courage to speak up and that the lies from manufactures and some docs would be stopped! At least give correct data out to public about hthese implants!!

• Posted

Hi socksmom,

So what are you saying? For us to give up on the Class Action Suit? And if that is true, what did you do to come to this conclusion? Just wondering... :-)

• Posted

Hi foxy32222,

Is there a class action suit? We consulted an attorney who was going to do research on such lawsuits, but he hasn't gotten back to us.  I had a nurse tell me that she hears of implants failing all the time from patients. And it seems like it doesn't matter which brand you use. They all have the same issues. 

If I can join the class action suit, I am in. 

• Posted

Hi Suzzie,

Yes, there is someone by the name of Brenda that was supposed to be starting one, I left my phone number and have not heard from her since..lol Now I see Socksmon, is not interested either.  I had one put in me in February, and at this point I hardly use it...If my pain is really bad I may turn it on, more likely in the am.  I went to my Dr. and told him my issues with it, and he told me since I have it in, maybe I should have it re-programmed, so next month I will have it done.  My problem with mine is that the vibration makes my left leg and feet hurt and it's not hitting me in my back right.  I have 4 different levels and right now it's 7:48 in the evening and I been hurting for the last 3 hours with a pain pill, so I turned it on kinda low because the vibration is hitting me in my mid back and I want it lower.   my left leg and feet,  that I don't need right now, but all of the level mess with my left leg and feet. I don't know what's gonna happen next month, I'll see after I get it programmed. Did you have it done? And how are things going for you? ttyl

• Posted

Hi Sheila. I'm also in Ohio. If you don't mind me asking. Who did your procedure?

• Posted

Dr Daniel Fabito is my pain Dr. Dr John Thalgott is my surgeon. They're both great and I have no argument with them. It's that there are 2 stimulator implant methods that I was told by my rep are the ones normally used for the trial and permanent.  

• Posted

Insurance reimburses physicians not on the procedure itself, but rather on the number of leads they implant.
    • Posted

From what I can tell, the new Medtronic stms are the ONLY implants that are MRI safe.  This is amazing to me because the older we get, the more we rely on MRIs for a variety of anatomical questions.  All these companies and only one gets it.

• Posted

I agree, however my Dr. did not tell me about the 2 that were available. I was told instead of getting the MRI I could get CT, which I have done. I do worry tho, as you say, as we get older we need those MRI's :-)

• Posted

Hi Sheila, I had the same issue, what I get instead of the MRI is the CT Scan. It worked for me...Good luck, I hope you feel better...
    • Posted

My doctor didn't either.  I'm 73 and my "pain clinic" has been pushing St Jude for the two years I've been going there.   I found the MRI stuff online and asked him and his response was casual.."Oh yea, why don't you look at HF10â„¢  and gave me their brochure.  When I looked online, that one too was MRI unfriendly except for your foot , head etc.  I have awful stomach problems and I'd hate to think I couldn't get and MRI for that or my spine of all things.  It's been virtually impossible to get information from his office. 

He's a very well known doctor and I was shocked and angry at his lack of information. He even threatened me with "you know, opioids won't be available in two years because of government  restrictions regarding addiction and you know, people in Russia don't have any painkillers so they just drink themselves to death bla bla bla."

I don't think any of them get paid much for office visits.  Their revenue is dependent on these stims which I believe is $15,000 to $20,000.

I was supposed to have one put in next month since I'm on three kinds of painkillers and still in agony & it's getting worse.  I was in all week with stomach cramps and the idea of these getting worse frightens me to death.  I don't know what to do.

• Posted

HI SLEEPYONE,

I NEVER HEARD OF HF10, BUT SINCE IT'S UNFRIENDLY, I'LL PAST ON IT.  IS YOUR STOMACH PAIN FROM A STIMULATOR OR BACK PAIN? I ASSUME YOU HAVE NOT HAD ANY KIND OF STIMULATOR. WHAT KIND ARE YOU GETTING NEXT MONTH? 

I HEARD ABOUT THE OPIOIDS ISSUE, ARE YOU IN THE US? HOWEVER, I HAVE NOT HEARD OF THEM NOT BEING UNAVAILABLE IN TWO YEARS. WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSE TO DO WITHOUT PAIN PILLS? THAT IS SCARY AS HELL! THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING ELSE TO REPLACE THEM BECAUSE ALTHOUGH I HAVE MY STIMULATOR, I MUST HAVE MY PAIN PILLS DAILY, THAT'S CRAZY! I'M ON OXYCODONE 20 MG RIGHT NOW AND I USE THE STIMULATOR AND PILLS. I WAS TOLD IT WOULD ONLY TAKE AWAY 50% OF MY PAIN AWAY, IT HELPS. I CAN WALK LONGER AT THE STORE, BUT NOT TO LONG. I CAN CLEAN MY HOUSE SOME AFTER SO LONG I HAVE PAIN AND HAVE TO LAY/SIT DOWN FOR A WHILE. I'M STILL LIMITED THOUGH.  I WANT TO KNOW WHERE IS YOUR STOMACH PAIN FROM. YOU MIGHT NEED AN MRI OR CT SCAN..I HAVE STOMACH PAIN FROM BEING CONSTIPATION FROM MY PAIN PILLS.

LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS? AND I'LL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS SLEEPY ONE smile

• Posted

Y'all may all be off of this subject ow. I had a Medtronic with a paddle lead implanted almost 4 years ago. After they turned it on and got it adjusted it helped my leg/calf pain but never helped my back pain. I've had to have 2 additional fusions in the last 18 months and now disabled. I was told this last fusion would do the trick and get me back to work. No way...After the last fusion my legs stopped burning and I turned my stimulator off. In the last 2 weeks it's like my stimulator is on. It's shocking me and my back above the the stimulator is all red and warm. I can't get Medtronics to talk to me. I guess they got their money 4 yeas ago and are done with me. Anyone having a similar issue? Can the battery be leaking?

• Posted

Hello Mike,

I'm sorry to hear that you are disabled now. I assume that you can not work at all. I feel you. I am in the same situation, and it can be depressing at times.

I suggest that you see your Dr. ASAP, since there is were you started from, something is very seriously wrong. I don't know if the battery can leak, but you may need a MRI or CT scan, to see what the issue is. I hope it's not making you have extra pain. I also would try asking to speak to someone higher at Medtronics . And I wish you the best. Don't stop until you get the help you need. I have not had those issues.

• Posted

What a shame what people with already all sorts of pain have had to go through with getting these implants with hopes of a better life...I have never got help OR answers to my problems after 2016 implant trial only...Now just curious if anybody found a lawyer for that class action suit so many of us were interested in?? I never heard if anyone. got it done.

• Posted

My new SCS has caused all kinds of bad symptoms. It is compatible with MRI. Yours probably is too.

• Posted

HELLO, I HAVE A SCS, AND RIGHT AFTER, I HAD ISSUES, BUT KEPT TALKING TO MY DR. AND THE PEOPLE I RECEIVED THE SCS FROM. IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR NOW, AND I CAN DETERMINE WHAT WORKS FOR ME AND DOING FINE WITH IT, I JUST HAD TO ACCEPT SOME THINGS, BY UNDERSTANDING HOW TO USE MY SCS. BUT I WAS TOLD, THAT I COULD NOT DO MRI, BUT TO GET CT SCANS INSTEAD. ALL I CAN SAY IS TELL YOUR DR. ABOUT ALL THAT BOTHERS YOU. GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

i live in the GB AND I HAD MY BOSTON SCIENTIFIC implant in November 2018 the only issue im having is my left foot has swollen up i had the implant because of bladder pain which it has helped with but the doctors at GUYS and St Thomas do not except that the implant is causing the swelling

SUZANNE

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.