Spinal Fluid results positive but MRI negative

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just got the results of my spinal tap. Elevated index and synthesis rate. Also, 8 oligoclonal bands in CSF but not the blood. I'm waiting for my doctor to call back. I've read these results are indicators of MS. However, recent neck and spinal cord MRIs are normal. I know you have to have at least two lesions to have an MS diagnosis. Do you just sit and deal with the symptoms until lesions appear after repeated MRI's? Thx.

Nancy

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I just heard from the doctor. I have transverse myelitis. Does anyone here have this? If so, what was your treatment? We haven't talked about that yet. He said this looks like it could turn into MS. Thanks for any info you can share.

Nancy

• Posted

Hi Nancy, I am so sorry you are suffering. You will learn as I have that you have got to be your own best advocate. Do not give your power up, then you lose the battle. You know how you feel. No doctor or nurse or PA or anyone for that matter can say or negate your feelings. Do not let them. What are your symptoms? If your doctor does not take your feelings seriously, try to find one that will listen. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Hi, I have an ms diagnosis without spinal fluid lumbar puncture but after recent severe increase in symptoms my MRI spine and head didn't reveal new ms inflammation. It did reveal inflammation he said was caused by spinal stenosis etc. I just think it's all so difficult for people with ms and suspected ms and maybe they don't know enough about cause and effect. I so wish you well because without a diagnosis I know you will feel in limber. Good luck 💜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.