Spinal fusion

Posted , 7 users are following.

If you've had a spinal fusion, was it performed by a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic surgeon?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am an Rn and wasn’t even sure, but I chose a neurosurgeon. I pulled this up from internet. 

“Fellowship trained and board certified orthopaedic spine surgeons, and neurosurgeons are equally qualified. However, the main difference is in the training. A Neurosurgeon is trained to treat conditions of the brain and spine, while an orthopaedic spine surgeon specializes in treating the spine.”

• Posted

I had a C-spine fusion multi level, mine was done by a neurosurgeon. i also have a laminectomy done in my lumbar that was done by an ortho, my lumbar surgery failed, so if it was me i would have a neuro do any and all surgeries on my spine, I need a fusion also but am trying to hold it off as long as possible but when i do get it, it will most definitely  be a neuro guy
  • Posted

Hi Nelly , ive had 2x Laminectomy at 2 Lumbar Levels and 4 Spinal Fusions also Lumbar Levels ... I've had both Orthopedic an Neuro Surgeons . Last operation i had both Surgeons combined.

• Posted

Thank you for your responses
  • Posted

Always a neurosurgoen.  These are the brain and spine experts.  An orthopedic surgeon will replace your knee and hip.  The only variation to this is using both a Neurosurgeon AND a General Surgeon to perform an LLIF (lateral) fusion.  The GS opens you up from the side, moves "stuff" out of the way so as to clear a path to your spine for the neuro.  After he's done, the GS does the close.  Attached is a picture of the LLIF device in place...slipped in from the side and expanded (like a car jack) to create the vertebral separation necessary to relive all the pressure on the nerve roots.  One night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab.  Instant pain relief.  The best kept secret in back surgery.  Miracle op...

• Posted

i AM scheduled to get a fusion of 3/4 4/5 on july 5th . ir will be by a orthapoedic surgeon. 
    • Posted

Hi Shirley , my fusion was L3-S1, I was not able to do anything, and would not have been able to anyway because you cannot bend twist turn get up and down by yourself. I had to wear a body cast they don’t want you doing any of that so that the vertebrae will fuse together. Not sure what they have told you, but you need to be prepared and have help available. Let me know
    • Posted

Hi Shirley I am going with an orthopedic surgeon also. He specializes in adult scoliosis and adult deformities. This is all he does. I also researched this and until recently neurosurgeons did not do spinal fusion. I believe im in good hands. Will send prayers for your surgery. God bless
  • Posted

For me, neuro ONLY!!!  I've had two fusions and two decompressive laminectomies.  If the op is lumbar, look into the Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF) procedure...they go in from your side...picture 1.  Miracle op.  One overnight, no brace...no rehab...L2/L3.  My standard TLIF (rails and screws...they go in from your back) of L3-S1 was 12 days in the hospital, 4 months of rehab and 6 months in a brace....picture 2.  Full recovery took a year.

Search YouTube for "Globus LLIF" for a cute animation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.