SPINAL FUSION 7 YEARS AGO. EXCEEDINGLY BAD PAIN LUMBAR REGION

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my fellow Back Surgery guys/gals.  I had spinal surgery 7 years ago L5 S1. The surgery went ok then I had the checkup after and then a few months after that and was then told that my spinal fusion did not take, my surgeon told me he would not do the surgery again. I have had pain over the years to which I am on medication for. My question for all of you is this I have had this really bad pain for 6 days now the only meds that take the pain away for a few hours is Diazepam and Paracetamol. an 8 for me in the bottom Lumbar region, I am getting no pain down my leg with this pain or in my bottom.  I do not think it is Sciatica as I have had it both sides before and it did not feel anything like I am going through now. I just have a gut feeling it could be to do with my surgery. I have Titanium  L5 S1 with screws. I am seeing my Dr on the 3rd of Nov but I am tempted to go and see her tomorrow if my Dr is in. I want to ask her if I can have an x-ray at least i can see if the metal is still in place, it could have moved somewhat. Any thoughts would be great to hear. Thanking you x

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, was reading your post. I myself also had surgery on my spine 3 years ago. Needless to say, I have never been the same. Can't remember all the L somethings but I'm sure if I take out my CD's to go over I will know which ones I had screws put in. I had a great surgeon only he had no bedside manner. Once the surgery was done, he was done. I went to him months later to talk to him and as far as he was concerned, that was that. I asked him, what do I do now? I was in pain and couldn't walk that well. All he suggested was going to pain management and getting myself a standard exercise bike. I did just that but it didn't seem to help. I also wore that uncomfortable vest around the house which really did nothing for me. I finally looked up pain management doctors in my area. I finally found one in New Haven. No thanks to my surgeon. Long story short, I have been on pain medication for the last two and a half years. This is now how I have to live my life everyday. Yes, at least I am able to get out but still use a cane and I make sure whatever stores I visit have shopping carriages as am still use to having something to hold onto. Not to be bold but it really sucks living this way. I am dependent on my medication to get me through everyday. Without it I don't think I would be getting around as I do. No way to have to live my life. It is very depressing as you can imagine and now of course I am addicted to the pain pills. I started off with only 5ml. Of oxycodone a day and I felt great for such a long time until that didn't become enough. It then went up to 10ml., twice a day. I am now taking 15ml, three times a day and even that's not cutting it anymore. I told the doctor I go to that 15ml. A day would be perfect but because so many people have abused that kind of medication for other reasons, he can't give me even one more a day so that's my story. This is how I live my life on a daily basis. I guess it could be worse. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain Martha it sucks.   like hell. Did you have a disc problem? I take quite a few med, I am also on Fentanyl patches,  25mg,  523rd one yesterday I keep records,  ex-office, I have to change them every 72 hours. I had pain Management it is a load of tosh, I trained as a Holistic Therapist, I am also a Reiki Practitioner level 2, I did it to self-heal. I have recently gone on HRT patches my goodness they have changed my life. I had hip surgery twice last year, My Dad passed away a day after I got out of Hospital I could not even go to my Dads funeral. My appetite is terrible am never hungry I think the meds do that. My Surgeon was great I did visit him a few times, but it got to the point I  had MRI scan after and ct scans and he could do nothing for me.  I  could not even get on a Byke, I  would have gone mad if he'd of said that to me. If you need to talk to me you can send me a private message take care x.

• Posted

Forgot to mention that I had Spinal Stenosis and my doctor said he had never seen a spine quite like mine! I guess it was quite messed up and not to also mention the fact that I have arthritis in that same area which they scraped off a lot during my operation but I have it back again. I also have grandchildren and cannot lift the youngest one. It's not fun. I feel like I'm missing out and so is the baby. My husband and I both agree that we were younger again. This getting older thing really stinks!

• Posted

Ah Martha it's the same story over again, do some research on neuro surgeons and get referred by your GP, the sooner the better as it takes time, get a second opinion and have new scans done, also he treffered to a pain clinic and if your not already a rheumatologist, yes it does stink and my heart goes out to you, I have suffered 14 years so have been through the mill, I wish I had known about this sight sooner a SI think I could have been more prepared and educated, let's face it we don't have a clue what we've done until it's to late, as for your surgeon he sounds like mine he never sent me for a follow no aftercare no advice just left out in the cold, they are so brutal.

Have you tried things like ice/heat packs,tens machine....if here's anything you want to ask I'll try and help if I can 😊

• Posted

Martha i do not know how old you are I am 58. We have a few Grandchildren but only have 1 living near us, all the others live so far away. Giving up my job was so hard all those years ago i still miss it so much. Do you sleep at night?.  I have a really bad neck I  have been talking to Caroline on here this evening too. I know some days I feel so hard, just getting out of bed. I am on FB if you want to talk x My neck makes noises like Snap crackle and pop and I have a tiny lump quite high up it does not hurt, i am seeing my Physio in November for the first visit. Martha I  have Arthritis in so many places, i think i have it in my neck, will let you know the outcome of my visit x
  • Posted

Hi again. So nice to know I'm not alone. Sorry we all have to be in pain, it doesn't seem fair. I am 63 years old and retired early because I had no choice or I know I would still be working. After my operation I never felt the same. What do they do to us?  Guess I'm not the only one taking medication. Sometimes we just need it. Ok, off to my doctor. Don't feel like going but without him I wouldn't get my medication so once again, no choice. Talk to you all later and God bless us all. Think we have been through enough. 

Martha

• Posted

Martha I havnt worked since my opp 14 years ago, I was 32. I always thought I'd go back and never for a moment thought I'd still be like this 14 years on, scary when I think of my future not being able to work. Hope all went well at the docs, take care and have a nice weekend 😊

• Posted

I’ve just visited a surgeon here in Norway where I live. Having had L4 and L5 disc herniated disc. The surgeon said the inky operation available is fusion but he would not do it as the success rate is too low. He’s sent letter to doctor saying I must be registered disabled. I’m 60 nov 20th. I did have two discs replaced in neck three years ago. No pain in neck arms now. 
    • Posted

Iv had an l4/5 fusion and it's been the biggest mistake of my life and know one cares. I'm sure there are better techniques now but unless you research them they will not offer that information, also my chiropractor told me if he knew me before surgery he could have prevented it, that's just my opinion as I'm aware that it has worked for some 😊

• Posted

When did you have your fusion Carolineq8? What problems are you facing right now?
    • Posted

I had my fusion 14 years ago, Iv had chronic ongoing progressive pain ever since, it caused an arachnoid cyst which is compressing my spinal cord t 2-6 and cervical degeneration. I have injections every 4 months,m. Right now I can barely stand,sit or walk, they said there was nothing more they can do, I'm 46, I think I might have faucet joint syndrome and if so then this is also as a result of this fusion, it really is not a cure, it may help for a period of time after but long term it will cause more problems, Iv done a lot of research and Iv found that we are really still in the dark ages when it comes to back surgery and pain😊

• Posted

I am very sorry for what you are going through.  I think lot of people are only trying western medicine which has its strength as well as limitations.  I have seen many people getting helped by other eastern methods when the western medicine failed.  I don't know if you are willing to try other approaches.  Please don't lose hope.  I know you can be helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.