Spinal Fusion : Encouraging the Pre-Op patients.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello to all anticipating a Spinal fusion.

I am female 52 years old. I had spinal fusion March 28th 2017 L4-5.

I was quite nervous about procedure and wondered if it would be worth it... As having done much research on internet I found more negative feedback than positive and truly thought twice about going through with procedure! However I had been in chronic to acute pain much to long! The thought of anyone messing with my Spine EEEK!

Anyway, to get to the point... as I said I found so much negative, that I thought it would be nice if I shared my experience and results in hopes I will help put some minds at ease!

I'm not going to sugar coat recovery is quite painful first few weeks, but hospital and Dr should be good at managing your pain... so let them know if your pain isn't managed post op!

I want to let you all know that I'm @ 8 weeks post op and besides recovery pain and long process... all went perfect! 100% of my pre-op pain is GONE!

I am encouraging anyone who needs a fusion and you have exhausted all other options don't be fearful, get the fusion and relief to live free of excruciating back and sciatica pain!

Also RESEARCH your Surgeon's experience, reviews etc!

Best wishes.. LJE

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi LJE4,

You are one of the lucky ones!

I've had 2 spinal fusions, the second only took place on 10/11/2016. I can honestly say that I'm in more pain now than I have ever been and I can't even straighten myself up! I'm 65 years of age and maybe I'm expecting too much but I thought I would get some pain relief not more! 

Linda

Hopefully I don't put too many people off surgery as we are all different

• Posted

Hi I was so pleased to read your message about your fusion experience as I have been attempting to get a fusion as I'm suffering from DDD. Of my lumbar region. I was scheduled to undergo a multi level fusion at RJAH Gobowen in November, unfortunatelyra I live in Shropshire and they have vetoed all back procedures as they are too expensive, I'm now on more painkillers than I can remember and they aren't really helping so I've been hedging towards a SCS implant but alas I have to wait for an out of county referral even for that but it's not a cure just a masking device so I'm really thinking of pushing for a fusion again! 

Can I ask where you had your operation so I can see if they will accept out of county referrals! 

I wish you all the best on your journey to a life with little or no back pain! 

Regards Dave

• Posted

Morning I have been on here a lot of times before,mainly preop

i had spinal fusion L3/4 14 months ago,fortunately having an excellent consultant,who also did a cervical discectomy and fusion 4 years ago.

My neck was all fused by 6 months and all good

unfortunately x rays through to now show barely any fusion,I was nursing prior to this accident which happened on my second night shift,workplace accident,now unable to do anything.

My consultant concluded that we could do further MRI but what would we do at the end of that as I said no more surgery.

It may be worth your asking if they will accept you

Mr Pradeep Madhavan

Taunton&somerset NHS Trust

Taunton Somerset 01823333444 ask for spinal secretary 

• Posted

Thanks for that info Ellen, I will speak to my GP and see where it goes from there. I just wish it wasn't a game of post code lottery but it does appear to depend so much on where you live in the UK.

i wish you well on your pain journey! 

Regards Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.