Spinal Fusion Recover Expectations

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a TLIF of my L4-5 done 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I thought it would be the MIS version but even though it was robot assisted it ended up being the open procedure. I spent 2 nights in the hospital after.

Going in to it, I did my best to prepare, I lost weight, got as healthy as I could, even got all the recomended equipment set up at home. But despite all that my recovery has been rough. I can walk short distances without my walker but its hard, and my feet kind of shuffle and it feels like I have hot brick strapped to my back. Taking a shower (even with the shower bench I got) can be agonizingly painful. I can't stand for more than a minute or so without severe pain. Plus, I'm just so exhausted all day long even with several naps.

I realize that I'm just 3 weeks out, but I really thought that with all my preparations, and things I did to get healthier before hand, I would be further along than I am. I know I probably shouldn't but I feel so discouraged right now!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I am 3 weeks post spinal fusion/decompression myself L5-S1. I was having some of the same symptoms you're describing especially the burning in my feet. I contacted my surgeon and they increased my gabapention dosage which has helped significantly. I still have some pain standing still and try to avoid it. But am able to walk and do my PT. They did stress it can take up to 6 months for the nerves to heal themselves. I hope this helps!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, you're the only person to take the time. I'm almost 5 weeks post op now. some things have slightly improved, i am walking more without my walker, but it is still rather slow. I cannot stand for more than a few minutes at a time, and even though I wasn't at first, like you I am starting to nave some of the same nerve pains I had before the surgery. That's been really discouraging because i thought decompressing the nerve was supposed to alleviate that. i have my next post op appointment next week so we will see what they say, but I don't want to take gabapentin for it because the last time I did i gained like 25 lbs from it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.