Spinal OA

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I just want to ask a few questions. I'm 29 and have been having back pain constantly for a year now. It feels like intense cramps in the spine. I saw a chiropractor and we did x rays which showed I have a functional (fixable and not from birth) scoliosis. My lower back goes to right and my thoracic goes to the left. He said there wasn't any degeneration or arthritic changes. I went to him for a few months but didn't see any results. I just started seeing a new chiropractor who is doing "meningeal release" on me. He said my spine is severely twisted, bones are growing close, and thinks this is the only thing that will untwist it. He looked at my x rays and said I had no degeneration. He said he was worried about my facet joints but was 90 percent sure there was no damage. A week later I asked him what would be wrong with my facet joints. He said arthritis. I said would you see that on x rays and he said yes. But I'm wondering why he said he was worried about the facet joints in the first place. My question is.. would arthritis have picked up on the fifteen x rays I did even if it's early? The first chiro said no arthritis changes as well. I'm always super worried about arthritis because it isn't curable. I just started taking glucosamine and msm because I heard it can reverse it if it's early but I don't buy into a lot of the internet cures. The pain gets horrendous. Would early oa cause this much pain? He said he thinks i'm feeling the stress of the curves. Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Pack up your xrays & see a sports medicine doctor. Sounds like you need some physical theraphy. You are right there isn't a cure for OA. The sooner you can build muscle & strength the better off you are. OA takes time to become a problem get ahead of it. Have you had any back injuries or been evaluated for RA?

• Posted

Hi

I want to say that if you are active and want to be healthy, you may want to look at getting real physical theraphy. You do have the opportunity to get better and stronger before any further problems occur. I am super active and now have OA but have been using ohysical theraphy, yoga, and strengthening exercises to reverse the OA and it is working but is taking a lot of time. My recommmendation is to get a good physical balance and keep it up for life. Don't trust everything you hear as you would know your body best. Be kind to yourself and keep working toward wellness. Words of wisdom from a 50yr old lol

Teresa

• Posted

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know if you can have oa but it didn't show on x ray? I took 11 x rays.. lower back, thoracic, neck...

• Posted

The reason why I chose chiro is because I did physical therapy two years ago after a car accident and I was in much more pain from the exercises. I think my functional scoliosis is too hard for a pt because its a double. It goes to the right on the bottom and left on top. Its very difficult finding exercises for it. The exercises for the thoracic might make the lower curve go more right and vice versa.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.