Spinal osteoarthritis - nerve pain in abdomen?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with spinal osteoarthritis (thoracic) 4 weeks ago. My worst pain is nerve pain, which wraps around my back and into my abdominal area. I wake up most days in pain, which usually starts out in my back and is sometimes really bad, sometimes just there in the background (I'm getting used to it!). Then the nerve pain kicks in. It lasts anywhere from an hour to 3 - 4 hours.  I cannot sit for more than a few minutes (that's all day!). And not to get too personal here, but going to the bathroom (BM) is a nightmare...during and after I am in extreme pain for at least a half hour to an hour. They've had me on NSAIDS, then steroids, now back to NSAIDS with no relief. I take tramadol usually 1 x day, in the morning. Today I'm trying to get by without, just to see if it's just time that makes it better, or the tramadol. I have been going to physical therapy for the past 3 weeks. Anyhow, I know I'm rambling here but I'd be curious to know if this is typical? Oh, and I'm exhausted. I am a person who in any given year would normally take less than 5 naps; I took 2 yesterday! I have a follow up with a spine doctor next week, but really feel like I'm losing my mind. Is this just my new baseline??? I just want to know what to expect here. I'm supposed to start a new job (desk - I'm an acccountant) and can't imagine how...Thanks for any input. I can take it!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There are some drugs which can be prescribed especially for nerve pain which I'm surprised your GP hasn't prescribed such as gabantin. Hopefully the doctor you see next week will recommend it
  • Posted

Oh no I'm sorry. This pain can be exhausting and depressing. I'm only familiar with knee OA. This pain is awful. I am a financial analyst and I sit all day and I hate to get up because I know it's gonna hurt. They say get up every hour. I'm hesitant to take tramadol at work since I live a long way from work. It might come to that. I hope you find some relief. 😊
  • Posted

I don't know how long you have had this for or your age, but I have had osteoarthritis for over 20 years, which has spread I have tried lots of medication even gabepentine but that did not work, my abdomen gets affected as well, I wear a back support which helps with my abdomen as well when I do heavy work, also a steroid shot helped for my thumb joint. I have osteo in my back shoulder hands wrist spine, and now it is starting in my hip ankle and knee. A hot water bottle does more for me than any medication.
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear of your pain and sympathise . I have Oteso ,shoulder,neck,lower back,spinal stenosis all of which cause extreme nerve pain,like you it is with me constantly ,it just varies in severity throughout the day.

I sadly have had to make the choice to stop working ..it was causing more pain even at a few hours and I couldnt get enough time in between to get my pain down. I have given up so much since I was diagnosed 5 years ago,every year something new appeared pain wise. I do what I can which is a lot less than I used to lol.

I am on tramadol or cocodomal, Gabapentin and naproxin..I find nothing touches the pain..how would i be without them ? not sure but feel like trying.

All I can say is keep chasing them , dont just sit back . Do what you can and yes sadly the baseline seems to change over time..I hope you get some relief,  

• Posted

Hi

feel your pain. I have arthritis in full spine, narrowing of spine, both knees, both wrists and shoulders. I started in 2012 and by 2014 my mobility reduced to using 2 walking sticks, now i have to use a wheelchair more often but sticks in the home. Sadly i lost my job February this year due to hospital admissions because of my condition and a liver diseade. I am on a drug called meptid as i cant take ibuprofen, gabapentin and i use lidocaine patches also. I used to take a nerve relaxant called amitrytole but it made me too drowsy to drive to work so they swapped it for nortriptolene. Its whatever is best for you. Do try and keep as mobile as possible and swim if possible. I sadly am that advanced that my only exercise now is moving around the home but i do have liver disease which doesn't help my mobility. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.