Spinal spondylosis and osteoporosis pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had these conditions for over 10 years but recently I seem to be getting worse.  I also have a shoulder injury which cases more pain and problems.  If i do something to trigger the pain it seems to be taking much longer to get back to normal.  Normal being not great anyway.  I am on morphine patches paracetamol and tramadol.  But for instance this week I went away to visit family and by the time we travelled home I was in complete agony. I have spent most of this week in bed because the pain makes me feel ill.  Does anyone else find they feel quite ill as well has being in pain?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen1958

I also suffer cervical spondylosis which leaves me most days in horrendouse pain.   I take paracetemol diazepam and morphine tablets plus liquid oramorph.   I alo use Lidocaine patches.   When I go through a really bad patch I am in so much pain that I am screaming in agony and am physically sick which means I cant take any of my meds and either have to call out a doctor to give me injections or go off to hospital to get my meds intraveneously.   It is a tpe of pain you can't describe to anyone and it can come on for no reason at all.   Sometimes I waken up with it.  I really sympathise with you.   I get so depressed at times because I know there is no cure and I just have to suffer the pain because my body gets used to the meds and I keep needing to up the dosage.  I also find after a bad patch i takes me longer and longer every time to recover.   Usually I have up to 5 days in bed, then have to get my partner to help me get out of bed and shower.   It takes me around three more days to be able to eat properly and I loose 7lbs every time this happens.   I have learned to eat as much as I can when I'm not in pain to put the weight back on.  I eat sweet things because it gives me back the energy I have lost.   I have been told that its nothing I do which triggers the pain but fluid which builds up inside and puts pressure on nerves which gives you the pain.   This fluid only drains whenever it feels like it so you are left in pain until then!   I have pain in my neck, shoulders, arms back and hands.   I use either ice packs or heat packs alternatively as this does help to deaden the pain a bit.   The only relief I can get is when i have taken my maximum morphine and dazepam and I can sleep.   When I vomit my doc has given me litle tablets to put under my gum to stop the sickeness and morphine suppositories to help the pain which does help until I get over the worst of it.   I have discovered there are no rules to this kind of pain.   It doesn't matter what you do.   It can come on for no reason, even when you are just sitting doing nothing!   I don't know if this will help you or make you feel worse but yes, I feel very ill when I have the severe pain.   I use microwave heat pads in all shapes and sizes and sleep sitting up at night propped up by three pillows as I find this prevents as much pain in the morning.   Sorry if I've gone on so much.   My condition is inoperable so I just have to find my own ways (along with my doc who is very sympathetic) of dealing with it.   It's not easy.   Please keep in touch and if there is anything else I can suggest to you that I find works I will pass it on.   Not sure if I've been much help as my condition is extreme but this site is great for a good moan.  I only joined a short while ago and it has really helped me to talk to others who unerstand what I am going through.   To finish off, I think that it's the pain which makes you feel ill as there is only so much pain your body can take.   Go back to your doctor and see if he can suggest other medication to help you.  In the meantime keep in touch.

Arran103

• Posted

Thanks you sound worse than me.  Normally I can cope with the pain relief just that lately I have kept having bad spells and not coping too well. I'm not often sick but have been more so before they got the meds sorted out.  I have the patches which my doctor says is better for the stomache than morphine tabs. Have you never been offered those plus they release the dosage hourly for 3 days constantly.  
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen1958

Thanks for reply. Haven't been offered morphine patches just lidocaine.

Not sure if morphine patches would give me amount of morphine I need as I am such large dosage - 120mg slow release tabs plus up to 40mg

Oramorph daily but it is something to think about when I'm vomiting. I will ask my doc. At moment trying to find out if I can get spinal cord

StimulAtor fitted which would give me electrical impulses instead pain.

Morphine patches sound a good alternative so I will pursue that. Thanks

For suggestions. Will keep in touch.

Best wishes

Arran103

• Posted

Can I ask how long you have been like this has it always been so bad or is it a cases of getting worse over the years.  That's what worries me I did think the meds had it sort of stabilised at a bearable place but now I feel as though I'm going worse.  I haven't heard of having a stimulater fitted but they did try a nerve block with me.  It was extremely painful to administer and didn't work but I believe for some people it does work and when it does it sounds like a very good form of treatment. Hope your haing a not too bad day. 
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen1958

My prolem began around 6 years ago with excrutiating painful migraine.   I kept telling docs pain was coming from my neck but no-one was listening to me until I was rushed into hospital after exreme pain and vomitting.  They diid scans and tests and discovered I had damaged discs in neck and back.  That was about a year ago.   I have seen countless doctors, neuosurgeons and been to pain clinic.   Operations is a no-no as my condition too serious and I would end up paralised.   Pain clinic tried me with every med in the book but morphine was the only one that worked and did not give me side-effects.   Unfortunately your body gets used to morphine and they keep having to increase dosage.   I am not happy with this but don't have a choice.   I also take paracetemol, diazepam, anti-sickness tabs etc.   Pain is getting worse all the time.   I have pain in neck, head, shoudlers, arms and hands..   I have Lidocaine patches which dull the pain but don't take it away.  I am told the condition will get worse.   It's difficult enough to cope with just now so I just don't think about the future.   I just enjoy the "good" days which are not often. Haven't heard of nerve block.   What is it?   I do have tens machine which is absolutely useless.   I am constantly looking for ways to ease my pain so will try anything.   Seeing chiropractor just now but after 7 very gentle treatments I feel no better.   She says she cannot cure me - just help me to cope with the pain.   Thinking of trying Bowens treatment which is a bit like acapuncture without needles.   Again this is not a cure but simply relaxes the body.   My pain decreases when morphine is increased but gets bad again after around 8 weeks.   I am going round in circles with this condition.   Seems docs don't have any successful treatments.   I often tell my doc about new meds I have found on internet or from someone else and he lets me try them but haven't come across anything yet which works 100%.  I have a very sympathetic doctor thankfully. My partner asks me every day how my pain is on scale of 1 to 10.   Today I am at 3 which is brilliant but it could change at any time.   I am off out tonight to jive dance class.  I can now only jive one or two dances with my partner now as he knows moves that don't hurt me and I stop as soon as serious pain kicks in.   At least it gets me out, I can get my glad rags on and have a talk with my friends.   If I didn't do these things now and again I would go crazy and feel even more sorry for myself.   Have a lot of hospital appointments this week and a few social events so have to pace myself and do as little as possible so that I can get to them.  Its all about balancing what you can and can't do depending on the severity of your pain.   Hope you find some relief from your pain.   Keep in touch and let me know ho things are with you.   This is a great site to let off steam.   We all undersand what it feels like to be in consant pain.   Take care.

Best Wishes

Arran103

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.