Spinal stenosis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just got my MRI results and they said I have spinal stenosis and sending me to a neurosurgeon.

All the information I look online for it says it's common in older people. I'm 21.

I'm not sure exactly what this is to be honest.

Narrowing of the spine, but why? I guess I'll see at the neurosurgeon.

Does anyone have experience with this?

What should I expect at the neurosurgeon?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess, first off, everything will be okay! I am 33 and I have had horrible back pain since middle school (especially high school), so back issues aren't age issues.

There are many causes for narrowing of the spine that involve bony growths. I know that anytime our spines are mentioned we get a little nervous. However, VERY FEW spine problems result in surgery or even all that much treatment to begin with. So think of it like this: you are on step two of 21,456. (That might be too conservative). Your job is the following: research your problem but don't look at people who are trying to scare you (there are so many of them). 2., come up with questions and ask for prognosis to go pain free. 3. Come back here and give us the update and we will go from there. Trust me, everything will be ok!

• Posted

I have spinal stenosis. Just think of a straw this is the out space round yr spinal cord image a piece of string going through the inside of the straw , this is yr spinal cord . The space in the straw is less when u have spinal stenosis. Kinda strangling the spinal cord. Causing many problems such as to the nerves the bowls bladder ect causing chronic pain. Some times degenerative disc diease can cause this , disc compression against the cord.ive had spinal stenosis for at least 20 yrs I know of, I was about yr age , u can actually been born with it and not know . But most people who suffer is because of injury or trauma of some kind possibly even hereditary. How it's affecting yr quality of life and how many problems it's causing you from mobility to pain to bodily functions, will determine what the neurosurgeon will do. I've had one discectomy decompression in 2014 also lots of invasive treatment s. Now am due spinal fusion in 2 wks ??

• Posted

Im quite similar to you jessica. I have spinal stenosis and had 4 microdiscectomys and lumber decopressions my last surgey was end of january this year. Ive had no relief after this op. My surgeon now suggesting spinal fusion at L4 L5. Ive just had an mri a cat scan and full spine xray ready for discussing this operation. Im really worried this time with it being a bigger op longer recovery and if i will recover properly. I just want to get back to normal and back to work. I litterally cannot do anything always in pain.
  • Posted

I've been having back pain since high school. I remember going to the hospital complaining a lot about it and they never did anything. Family never took me to the doctor ever.

Two years ago I think the doctor was like oh it's a herinated disc and just gave me pain meds but I also didn't have insurance now.

It took awhile to get my MRI results than they said and just got the call today, so now I wait for the neurosurgeon office to get the referral and make the first appointment.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I wish you all luck as well!

• Posted

Diagnosed with stenosis at L2/L3 last October.  Pain from lower back and down BOTH buttocks and the back of both legs.  But that's from L2/L3.  You can have different pain if the stenosis is located at different vertebrae.

There are various types of stenosis but mine was foraminal...the nerve roots were getting compressed by the canals the nerve roots run through as they exit the spine.  To fix this, you have to either manually clean out those canals or widen the space between the vertebrae to take the pressure off the nerve roots.

I was already fused L3 through S1.  Opening me from the back would then entail removing all the existing hardware and re-fusing me L2 through S1.  Ten days in the hospital; six-month rehab.  ...or...

Perform an LLIF, where the surgeon goes in FROM THE SIDE (the first "L" stands for "lateral"wink, clears out the disk, inserts a neat little "device", cranks it open with an Allen wrench (think about a jack expanding to lift up a car), backfill it with a bone graft from your hip and close.  Overnight stay; zero rehab.

Thank you...I'll have one of those, please...

Search YouTube for "Globus lateral" to see the cool animation.  Find a neuro who has experience in the procedure to see if is applicable for you.  Yes, there is temporary, post-op nerve pain because they've retracted the nerve roots during the procedure.  Tough for a few days and then gets better over 4-6 weeks.  Remember...it's NERVE PAIN so opioid painkillers just don't work.  I refused to take Gabapentin (puts 20 pounds on you in a month) or Lyrica, which did nothing for me.  Lots of heating pads plus topical Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine helped a lot.  Straight Lidocaine patches from the doc would have been better.

Posterior and lateral pics attached.  In the lateral one, see how the posterior expansion is greater than the anterior to maintain the correct curvature of the spine.  A remarkable feat of engineering...

HOWEVER...all of this only applies for this type of stenosis.  If you have cervical, lumbar or central canal stenosis, this procedure may not be applicable.  You need a real good neurosurgeon!!!

Have fun...

• Posted

Hi Jess 

it is quite common and not restricted to older people, I've been diagnosed for years and was told that mine is almost certainly genetic through either one or both of my parents it is treatable when causing pain and I have found that acupuncture works for me whenever it flares up. You will have to undergo an MRI to be certain that is the case, however I wish you well on your future health 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.