Spinal stenosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have chronic lower back pain (spinal stenosis) have had this for 12 years. Can anyone help me with sleeping position just cant get comfortable. Doctors say they can't help me other than taking gabapentin and paracetamol. I have had a knee replacement just into my 6th week which is said, is painful. But my back pain is just screaming out. Thank you Suzanne.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have tried sleeping on my side, with a pillow between my legs. Have replacement knee on top if possible. I am 7 months post knee replacement and my sciatica, pinch nerve started after the third week and did not help my sleep nor my progress for extension or flexion. I just tried sleeping on my sides with pillow between knees I hope you get comfort from this.

• Posted

I got spinal stenosis at L2/L3 at 8 months after my knee replacement...really set back my knee recovery until I got the fusion that eliminated the stenosis.

Mine was FORAMINAL stenosis as the L2/L3 space narrowed the foraminal canals that the nerve roots run through. I've had lots of sciatica events in my life but this was down BOTH legs...could barely walk 100 feet. There are different types of stenosis located at different parts of the spine. I don't know what the specs of your case are, but for me...

I had already been TLIF fused (rails and screws) from L3 through S1 so this was one level above. Doc opted for a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF) where they go in from the side, drill out the disc and insert what looks like a mini car jack. Then they expand the device to open up the foraminal canals and take the pressure off the nerve roots. Backfill with a bone graft from your hip and close.

Woke up and started running down the halls and climbing stairs. Zero pain. One night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab. Miracle op. Search YouTube for "Globus Medical: LLIF Technique" for an animation of the procedure and "Globus ELSA" for the device they put in me (lots of device options depending on your case). Maybe this will take care of your stenosis once and for all...

PS: Voltaren Gel (RX in the US...generic diclofenac elsewhere) is the best topical anti-inflammatory around. Use it multiple times a day especially at bedtime. Could help you.

• Posted

is your stenosis sciatica? Where is a nerve being impinged? Have you considered a hands on physical therapist?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.