Spinal stenosis and fatigue

Posted , 5 users are following.

was diagnosed with spinal stenosis a few years ago because of back and knee pain.  Recently legs have become weak but main problem is lack of energy.  Anyone else experienced severe lethargy with this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely. Suffering bilateral stenosis since October...surgery due on March 24th.

I'm fused L3 through S1 and this is at L2.  My neurosurgeon can open me up, remove all the hardware, open up L2/L3 with a spacer and re-fuse me L2 through S1...OR...

Get a General Surgeon to open a path to my spine FROM THE SIDE and insert an EXPANDABLE spacer in L2/L3.  Then he'll use an Allen wrench to crank it open (like a jack lifting up a car) to expand the space between the vertebrae relieving all the pressure on the nerve roots.  Works in 80% of patients.

Difference: Re-fusion is a 10-day hospital stay plus six months of rehab.  The new spacer is an overnight stay, immediate pain relief and zero rehab.  

There are a number of companies that make the hardware.  Google "Globus RISE-L" for a cute animation of how this works.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

At present I only get pain occasionally so pain isn't a problem as I can deal with it.  It's the lethargy and feeling my legs are going to give way when I walk.  Having to stop after a couple of minutes whereas could go at least 15 a few weeks ago

• Posted

The stenosis forces you to walk slightly bent forward to relieve the pressure on the nerves in your back.  Unfortunately, this puts all the work on your quadriceps which are now overworked as a result.  It's the same as if you went to the gym and exercised your quads all day, every day.  It's muscle fatigue...and over the long term, you're just worn out.

My daughter is a graduate nutritionist and a personal trainer certified by the American College of Sports Medicine for the past 17 years.  She told me this and it was confirmed by my doctor, chiropractor and neurosurgeon. Get the stenosis fixed or this will never go away.

• Posted

Prior to both my cervical and lumbar fusions I became very tired towards the end of the day. I worked part time and fairly young early 40's. the physical fatigue along with the pain takes a toll on your body and its true you have a different gait, posture, etc. it would take my days off to recover and reboot so I could start the process all over again.

• Posted

Thanks. Have been concerned as had ME for 9 years nd though I recovered 9 years ago GP just says you never recover and also I'm getting on, well into 70s.  Doesn't feel like ME THOUGH.

• Posted

All the time some times it just hits me like a gust of wind and I have to go sleep for s bit
    • Posted

It was diagnosed in 2011 but symptoms have been there for a very long time I also have fibromyalgia and inflammatory joint diease degenerative disc diease and hyper mobility, need put down😂 I try to remain positive it's not easy but my family and friends s are a great support network. Also I believe in god so I believe he helps me endure my trails. It's not everyone s belief but it's mine

• Posted

Thanks Jessica. Glad you have a good support network.  I'm very lucky and have a supportive family too and find being a Christian helps me.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of all your stuff Jessica. I feel the same a lot of the time. With your comments about the inflammatory disease issues you may want to check out/have your dr. check out the disease CIDP. the name is too long to type!.-😎

It's a chronic inflammatory disease similar to MS but treatable. The treatments mayvelleviate

• Posted

I am on medication it's helping a little I've also believe I have ms but it's never been confirmed, think once they have a few diagnosis s they don't bother to look for anything else 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.