Spinal stimulator decision

Posted , 3 users are following.

Thanks to the responses on the spinal stimulators. It doesn’t sound as “ simple” as proposed to me. My MRI shows D. Disc disease, 2 bulging discs, scoliosis in lumbar region, some narrowing of spinal canal, arthritis.

Two docs said either have 2-3 fusions or live with the symptoms. 

The pain management doc is filling pain meds and shooting me full of steroids- it’s a very busy practice indeed! He’s the one that proposed the stimulator.

My spinal EMG revealed no nerve damage- but I know that my left leg stays numb most of the time- not really sure what’s going on there. No bowel or urinary problems yet!

The deep gnawing pain is in my mid buttocks and groin on the left side- which is so excruciating sometimes- that I can barely walk.  My lower back is always sore- but I can tolerate that.

Docs have been stumped by MRI and the symptoms I’m having- which doesn’t make me feel any better. They all say- “ it’s complicated”!

I live in a pretty reputable medical community and these are supposed to be pretty reputable docs- but I just have a gut feeling about both of them.

I realize forums are mainly used by complainers- but I seriously just want to obtain anybody’s opinion on this. I’m stumped and don’t feel real confident about this stimulator deal.

I would appreciate anybody’s input and I am a great sympathizer to all who suffer any chronic condition!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi beth,

I think I have replied earlier, or something very simular. Apart from anything else your suffering from could the gnawing pain in your left area be sciatica?

I only ask as I am on lots of pain meds for neck, cervical, disease, and also began to get sciatica pain.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi- after another sleepless night- which are way too many- I can only say that none of these doctors have mentioned sciatica. The pain/ numbness travels down front of one leg.  But it is mainly concentrated deep in the buttocks area and groin. They have ruled out hip issues, SI joint issues and piriformis syndrome. My back probably is causing everything with some kind of compression. I do occasionally have the same symptoms on the right side- but it’s not as dominant. According to docs, innumerable tests- they can only say it’s complicated. According to MRI- the symptoms should be more exhibited on my right side- they say- but mine are on the left. It’s ironic that they all 3 made the same comments without speaking to one another. Maybe they think I’m making it up???? But- 2 years of this consistent pain is - as everyone knows- causing other problems- such as anxiety and depression

I’m not a hypochondriac and would prefer to be playing tennis, walking, hiking, etc- so- from an otherwise healthy and pretty fit 63 yr. old- I’m seeking help beyond doctors!

Thanks for your input and prayers go with you.

• Posted

LOL I guess I shouldn't answer since I am a retired pain management doc, but I can't help myself.  This deep seated buttock and groin pain you have with radiation into your thigh sounds a lot like something I went through last year.  Mind you, I have all sorts of messed up things on my MRI, stenosis, degeneration, osteophytes, bulging discs, a grab bag.  I also went through every nerve block known to man along with every chronic pain medication, finally landing on a stimulator.  But, I had still a burning, gnawing pain in the same area and I associated it with my bladder. Not everyone with this syndrome has bladder issues.  The way it was explained to me was that chronic pain patients are so stressed that they can end up with their pelvic floor/girdle in constant contraction which leads to a lot of pain.  The only real way to treat this condition is a specialized form of physical therapy called pelvic floor physical therapy--it requires a separate certification to be able to do this. I had to go twice a week for 6 months and it was extremely painful for the first 3 months as she tried to massage my pelvic floor muscles into relaxation.  Keep in mind, I had my St. Jude stimulator during this time, which works great, but didn't work for this pain.  I wouldn't be surprised if this condition would cause a sore lower back and if the right muscle were staying contracted they could trap your sciatic nerve as it exits the pelvis which would cause the numb feeling in your leg.  I got this diagnosis from a GYN doctor.

Something new to think on.  Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear from any more docs, but I am retired so I shouldn't count LOL.

Lynn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.