Spinal vertebrae fractures T12, T11 and L1

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had a car accident in febuary this year, i was originally told i had fractured T12. i was in a back brace for 3 months and the doctor told me all would be heeled by then, 6 months later my doctor wanted to take me off my meds and i am still suffering with a lot of pain, i went for second opionin but didnt realise it was the same doctor who practices and both NhS AND private hospital, have now been told its wedge fractures T12, T11 and L1 and that they look like they have heeled, it is now 10 months later and i am still suffering with a lot of pain, prolonged leaning forward and work makes it worse, if i bend backwards at all it hurts, i wake up with it hurting and is generally there a lot. i also find the pain radiates upwards and sometimes down, but dont feel weird sensations in my legs, i do have a slight problem with my bladder feeling full, even when i have just been, sometimes having to go to the bathroom several times for a dribble. doctor and specailist again after 10 months are still saying it will be ok soon, but i really cant see how its going to get bettter and MRI apparently doesnt show any other damage, could anyone please tell me why im still in pain or what i can try and do about it, it seems the proffesiinals are no real help and i am just left in pain, The whole situation is really getting me down. any advice please, i dont want to stay on medication i want something done to ease or get rid of the pain

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My first fusion was a TLIF (rails and screws) from L3 through S1. Then I got stenosis at L2/L3 which was 100% repaired by an LLIF fusion. Now comes the problem...

My neurosurgeon explicitly warned me to take care of my back. Told me that L1/L2 CANNOT be fused as T12 and L1 are "transitional" vertebrae (thoracic to lumbar). Any fusion of L1/L2 will impair T12/L1. So...

If a neurosurgeon recommends a fusion to permanently repair that part of your spine, it will likely span at least T11 through L2. While it will solve the problem, any bending movement will most likely be impaired. Unfortunately at 70, I'll probably end up blowing out L1/L2 in the future and require this exact fusion surgery.

• Posted

Anthony, you did not say if you had a spinal stimulator installed by your pain doctor or neurosurgeon? Believe me I know how you feel, as I live on oxycodone 15 mg daily, along with my nevro H10 stimulator and I would like to get away from the pain meds. I dribble also, but my doctor says that his calls from the oxycodone that is numing something in my bladder and can't feel when my bladder is empty. I have had eight back surgeries and three neck surgeries. Talk to your doctor about the Nuro unit and see if you're a candidate, they have a trial to see if you get some relief before they actually install one and your back. this may very well help you with your pain issues it's worth a try. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Thanks for your reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.