Spine disk problem ,MRI result

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I’m having spinal problems for 3 years. I got MRI test but my doctor didn’t explain it to me clearly and he just said I shouldn’t do anything even exercise. I want to work out and do my daily works but I don’t know if it would cause my pain get worse or not. Please somebody explain this MRI results to me so I know how hard my situation is and how can I do exercises which are best for my back condition. thank you,here is my result:

The examination is performed using multiple thin slices on different planes and pulse sequences.

The size and signal intensity of all visualized vertebral bodies are normal.

Modic type 2 degenerative endplate changes at L1-L2 level are seen.

Normal lordosis of lumbar spine is straightened.

All disks are at least partially hydrated except at L1-L2, L5-S1 levels.

Central and left paracentral and neuroforaminal disk prostration at L5-S1 level are seen.

Disk osteophytes complex prostration at L1-L2 level is seen.

Visualized cord and conus medullaris are normal.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I cannot explain anything to you what I can say is go to a chiropractor and see if they can help it's unreal what I am experiencing they him....I was told nothing else just it's ms take some drugs .....

• Posted

I'm not a dr and I won't comment on your MRI because I didn't know how to read my own reports but what I did do is take the images that I had on a disc pull them up in one window and then google what the same image might look like with bulging, or impingement, etc.  it allowed me to view my images and random images pulled up by the computer on a search to see how I looked compared to stock images. It kept me busy while I was waiting to see my neurosx for his interpretation. Another thing you can do is google the MRI findings sentence by sentence and see what comes up? That might give you a better understanding? I also did that. You can also call your dr and ask him or her to explain to you again why you can't exercise or walk and how long you are supposed to not do anything? Ask them to put it in writing if you need to.i think we all become intimidated by Drs and we are scared to go back to them for answers, don't be, if you need more than one clarification it's your right to be informed and seek out the info, also get a second opinion? 

• Posted

Please get a second opinion - with a doctor that will explain things to you.  If you have to get a third opinion.  The doctor that you saw, forgive me for saying this, sounds awful!!  And if your condition is that serious, as the doctor says, then I wouldn't base my future on google images or what other posters say.

Six years ago, a neurosurgeon wanted to do urgent surgery on my cervical spine.

He said, in the meantime tip we get it scheduled, make sure you don't get in a car accident or fall (I guess I would get paralyzed?).  I went to two other neurosurgeons and they said I didn't need surgery at this point.  One told me that it may be an irritated nerve and to do traction at home to see if it helps.

it was resolved in 2 weeks and here I am 6 years later....still doing good.

Please get a second opinion.  I can't believe the doctor didn't give you any options to help you - physical therapy, epidural injections, surgery.  You should not have to do "nothing- not even expertise".  The used have given you a referral to PT, a neurosurgeon or a pain doctor.

Please keep us posted.

• Posted

Hey fording.

Your situation sounds very frustrating. I have had a similar situation in which I had a bugling disk in my L5/S1 and had to have an operation for it.

I would strongly suggest seeing a different dr who will explain this to you and create and action plan in which you can work out what to do. You may need to see a spinal surgeon (they will explain all of this to you very well) and a physiotherapist (they will be good for the excerise part because they will be able to suggest what will be best).

I'm not qualified to interpret your MRI results but it does seem like you're having problems with your disks in your lower spin (this is what L5/S1 means). I'm not sure how much you know, but in your spine you have all these bones that are stacked on each other so that you can bend your back. But inbetween each on you have a disk. This disk helps to seperate the vertebrae (the bones). The consistency on the disk is like crab meat. I'm not sure about the degenerative part bucasue I had a bulging disk. But have a search around on the net (make sure you look up reliable medical sites) and ask a different Dr.

In terms on the exercise I find hydro therapy is great, Pilates, stretching, yoga and swimming (perhaps only once it starts to improve). Don't do any of these things unless you get the go ahead from a dr of physio though.

I hope all this helps even a little bit. I spent 2years searching for what was wrong with my back and I finally found out. Don't loose hope and try a new r. Stay safe

• Posted

Also be cautious of chiropractor at this point. I was told by my spinal surgeon and physio to stay clear until my back was better, I don't think the adjustments are good for this type of thing. But it may work for you, you never know.

Also I've heard that acupuncture can help (I've never tried myself)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.