Spine/shoulder/sternum

Posted , 1 user is following.

Since my second deployment where I was involved in an IED blast that my doctors are leaning towards my sternum and chest area being struck by the back of my .50 caliber machine gun as I was standing in the gunner’s turret when it detonated slightly in front of our vehicle. I have had issues with my sternum popping for over 5 years now however it is now happening in my shoulder and upper back now. I can barely lift stuff with my tight shoulder and my upper back constantly tries to find relief and pops significantly. As it has progressed, my upper back has gotten worse, and my right shoulder is getting weaker and brings on more pain. I have had x-rays on my lower, mid and upper spine as well as MRI’s and nothing significant. But unsure with my past spine fusion and discectomy narrowed what the VA was looking for as it was just my PA, and no specialty. I have an appointment soon with pain management as the VA tends to want to just control symptoms instead of finding the cause. So I am attempting to find someone with relatable issues so I can try to make the behavior changes that I may need to make. I have been diagnosed with Costochondritis as they figured slight popping with no pain was that, however I am no longer convinced since it has maintained and worsened over the last 5-6 years.

Current symptoms are:

-If I try to side bend/lean, I can only go so far without pain in my upper back on each side of the spine however more so on the right side.

-When I bend down straight, my upper back on the right side of my upper spine and typically pops.

-I have a small gap between 2 of my upper ribs in my chest just below my clavicle.

-I cannot go more than 5 minutes without trying to alleviate or trying to pop to find relief in either chest or upper back.

-Neck range of motion is decreasing and increasing stiffness

-Jaw pain and ear pain on right side here and there

-Migraines at times from the pain radiating

-pain radiates from spine across to the front of the rib cage and sternum – predominantly on the right side

-My chest /sternum pops when I push on it at times.

-My right clavicle is protruding out more so than the other side by a good half inch.

• neck grinds when turning my head far left to far right every time. I have extreme weakness and pain in right shoulder blade
  • If I arch my back, it is limited however it brings pain and my chest feels tight as if it wants to pop and stretch.

-Shoulder blade has also started to pop significantly with pain when used for normal activities.

-Feels like my entire rib cage on my right side is sticking out further than my left and same with my ab muscles or whatever is under the lower right rib haha.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.