Spine was broken during surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Spine collapsed due to prematurely removal of instruments of first surgery, with gravity pulling me over. Now I am 5 yrs. into my last 12 hr.spinal surgery, which was done to break and realign my entire spine, Am put together with 21 screws, rods connecting to pelvis, titanium, cobalt, concrete, etc. Q: Anyone had this done, and if so, do you experience a very heavy weighted foot? Trying to locate which part of the spine would cause this.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Heavy foot could be foot drop

Just a guess as this is a nerve issue in the spine with the nerve signals from the spine to the foot. Ask,you doc if that may be a issue. Also nereve medications have helped a lot,for my nerve pain. Also,vit B complex and B-12 also can be low a blood test can be done. I had both low and bit D.

• Posted

Thank you for info. I actually take meds for nerve pain, B complex, Vitamin D, etc. Apparently some of my instrumentation is pressing on certain nerves. I don't like living with all this, but do realize someone else is worse than I. Hope my story can benefit someone else someday, as I've had my entire spine rebuilt. Happiness and good health to you. 

• Posted

The surgery implants are causing pressure on the nerve that has to be difficult to cope with. I am very sorry you have to endure this pain every day. I hope that with time you will get better . Amazing what they can do to rebuild  a spine. Were you in a brace after that surgery? My friends daughter had similar surgery . Each disc are was screwed to a sergical steal rod in sections so she could have bending mobility. The whole spine was done.  It was from scoliosis. It also took her over a year to recover. 

I know how back pain can be very difficult to cope with , I was in a bad accident and had surgery on my back. It just gets worse over time scar tissue build up in my case. I try to stay active and keep my back muscles strong. Will need another surgery . Anklosing spondiliyis a few discs are fused and one disc in my neck has spurs growing causing my arm and shoulder numbness and headaches. Just had hip revision, surgery doing great, giving the bone fracture from that time to heal. They wrapped a cable and also metal clamps to hold the implant and the fracture together on the bone.

Sometimes I feel like a fancy puppet with all my joints held together with metal components moving is never quite the same. I am very grateful to have my mobility back with a lot less pain. It a great choice considering the alternative.

You are very brave. Do you have someone to help care for you? You are amazing and have a wonderful attitude. It's great that you have come to this forum and I so glad to have met you.

Peace ,Love Happiness and Good Health to you . 😊

Hope xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.