Spine wedge fractures

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello - during a recent MRI for another condition if was discovered I had 3 wedge fractures/collapsed vertebra but with no obvious cause (L1/2 and T10)....I have had test for oesteoporsis and all my results are well within normal range and I haven't had any trauma to my spine but had TKN last December (they could have dropped me...Ha)!

Any ideas please ?

A bit if history: I have had a disc (L4/5 removed in the 80's) have facet joint problems in that area and after numerous steroid injections I elected for a Denervation (may 2015 and another due soon) and that worked wonders for my pain.....

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My wife has severe osteoporosis. She has had rheumatoid arthritis for 35 years, shes 53. She had 3 fractures 2 years ago, failed vertebroplasty of The T12 which resulted in her being bed ridden for 1.5years. she started walking about 3 months ago but had a lumbar fracture from bending down to pet the dog. Then a couple of weeks later another lumbar fracture and just last week a 3rd fracture from coughing too hard.

Dr.'s say it's from years of Prednisone for her RA and will not inject any steroids into her facets to relieve the pain as the steroids could worsen her vertabrae.

I guess it's possible that you may have localized vetebral osteo due to the steroid injections. You say your dexa scans are normal of your spine so that's just a guess so experts please do not pummel me with the the "facts" I'm just tossing that out there as a possibility.

• Posted

Thanks Dig - I only had 2 steroid injections in the spine and only on one side -  (I meant to to say numerous procedures on my spine rather than numerous steroid injections)...would that be enough to cause this problem do you think ? I know we are not experts but we have experience of it and know our bodies better than most....!

I am sorry for your wife's situation and at such a young age.... I would def recomment the Denervation if it's suitable for your wife....I had mine through the Pain Clinic at ST Thomas' in London and they were brilliant - the denervation causterises the branch nerves that send the pain signal - so not close to the spinal cord - but they do regenerate and don't always grow back the same way...so who knows - luck of the draw I reckon.....and I'm lucky that my fractures are what they call 'Stable' but no one told me of the posibilities of this due to steroid injections....harrumph - mind you when you are in that much pain you will accept most things that are offered..... I did have a massive flare up after the denervation and had to take to my bed for most days for almost 8 weeks thinking I had made the wrong decision but suddenly, all was ok....

I am concerend now as on a long course of oral steroids for PMR - hope this prednisolone is not going to do more damage but am currently feeling great.....devil and the deep blue sea eh !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.