Spiriva information and questions

Posted , 14 users are following.

I realise others may already know the following, but am sending it for those who don't or those who, like me, thought they checked all medication before taking it ... but has just found out she didn't.

The Handi-Halers MUST be replaced about every 12 months:  this info is on the manufacturers' broadsheet sized info sheet, but in small print at the very end and I'd never noticed it, or remembered the rehab people mentioning it either.    I replaced mine about 10 days ago and the difference in my breathing is amazing - last night I danced to rock n roll for longer than I've been able to for years.  Aching a bit today, but it was well worth it!

The second issue is that the manufacturers include a lot of empty capsules in every script:  apparently this has been going on for years, at least in Australia;  complaints have been made but the situation doesn't improve.  I've started saving the empties while I find out what the appropriate Australian authority I should report to:  this company is ripping us off via our script fees and the community as a whole via government subsidies on each script.   I know of no other medication which has this issue.

I'd be very interested to know if the situation is the same in other counttries;  have other people tried to do something about it and what success they had, if any?

5 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jude:  I misunderstood what was questioned.  I TOO use Spiriva daily.  I found that here in the US, my med was costing me anywhere from $45.00/month to $275.00/month depending on if I had met my insurance deductible.  I started ordering my Spiriva (generic) from Canada and I receive 3 months supply for $51.99.  The capsules are blue/green at the top and the lower half is clear; therefore, you can see the medication that is being dispensed.  There has not been any notification that the handihaler should be replaced at specific intervals, either from that company NOR from my pharmacy in the US,  even though I receive a new one with each order.  I do hope that this information will be allowed on this site, as, these meds can become extremely expensive, particularly if you are taking more than one.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

They don't cost much in Australia because I'm on a pension - $6.50 per prescription, which used to be free but has gradually crept up and up, still much cheaper than the full price.

Is there not an instruction leaflet witht Handihaler with information about cleaning and replacement?

I've never ordered medication over the internet and I never will because I wouldn't trust it's ok, but good luck to you if you can do it

• Posted

This is very interesting.   I am in the UK and am prescribed Spiriva,  but I stopped taking it months ago as it didn't seem to help.  I often thought some of the capsules contained no powder but told myself I was imagining things,   I get a new inhaler most times I order it so I can't be that.  

One way I did get it to work better was to shake the pill first and also shake it in the container to make sure the powder was loose.  But if there was no powder in some.....  x

• Posted

Did you do the deep inhale/exhale first to empty lungs as much as possible and keep the head erect when using the inhaler to get as much of the product as possible?

Both those things make a heap of difference.

I never thought of shaking the capsule and then the inhaler - did someone suggest it to you?

• Posted

I'll try & remember to try that but as I use the Handihaler first thing in the morning it's highly possible I'll forget
    • Posted

Could be you need something with it.  I take 2 different inhalers.  That seemed to help more and I also have an emergency one too.  Mine is the newer version with no pill.  It is a metal capsule.
  • Posted

Hi All........in response to the empty Spiriva capsules......I have been ordering my Spiriva from Canada for 2 years now and have not had even one empty capsule.  Half of the capsule is blue and the other half is transparent so you can see if there is powder in it.  Perhaps the manufacturers that are NOT completely filling capsules need to take a lesson from Canada.
    • Posted

Mine are silver and you cannot see what is in them.
    • Posted

Hello mgrajek  this post is 2 year old and I believe jude was talking about her experience of the spiriva hadihaler capsules that she has from her pharmacy in Australia.

It sounds like you are talking about the spiriva respimat canisters (which are silver) and you cannot remove a canister nor should you once it has been pierced.   

Spiriva handihaler capsules and not used in the spiriva respimat. 

Whatever country you live, 

Do check again with your doctor or pharmacy.

• Posted

Thanks. I had 2 capsules in my box from the doctor. Thought they were refills.  Glad to know they are empty. For sure right?  Otherwise I found no way to take the other one out and replace it.  How stupid is that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.